Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ccd competition

evening all,

i'm looking at buying an entry level ccd, and am interested in the neximage but i see the orion starshoot planetary imager can also be used as an autoguider. would this be the better buy in the long term

or is there another option to consider. £350 is about my limit at the moment.

many thanks.

Look at QHY5v or other from QHY5 servies (also OpticStar CMOS cams). Their are quite cheap and much better than webcams and NexImage which is a webcam. Orion items in Europe will be rather more expensive than direct chinese or local brands.

I saw somewhere some second hand QHY... keep an eye on U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell or TS second hand.

again thanks for the advice

i hadn't considered buying secondhand and i see the meade dsi is considered an option. presumably i could download any missing software from the meade site (i'm thinking missing cd discs may be a problem with secondhand purchases)

Your other option worth considering is a DSLR. One advantage is the larger chip size, which gives you a wider FOV. You could actually buy a modified 350D for your £350 budget.

There's also disadvantages of course, you couldn't use it as a guider and they're not cooled so there's often more noise and you'd need to take more subs to get rid of it.

don`t worry to much about buying second hand, i`ve bought second hand cameras in the past and they are usually very well looked after and a bargain from new, also most if not all the software is available from the website sometimes with newer updated versions of it.

i bought a Meade DSI PRO 2 mono with filters and cooler and it`s a great bit of kit and a good saving from new,

if your looking to get planet images first i`d recommend a webcam, cheap easy to use and get good results then think about moving onto DSO`S later as this is a hole lot more complicated i find

Archived