Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the biggest telescope you've ever used...

steveangel

I have been lucky enough to have 'looked through' (rather than observed with ) the Northumberland Refractor at Cambridge Institute of Astronomy: Northumberland at Venus . So a 12" refractor .

The largest amateur reflector I have visually used was at Trebur , near Mainz and Frankfurt at 1.2 metres to look at part of M27 . Instrumente . What an amateur observatory with great kit that is used too . They were webcam imaging Mars with an 11" Mak Newt back in 2003 when I was there . Believe it or not , the scope is at the top of a multi storey building with a small bar/restaurant/cafe at ground level . Next door is a residential home for senior citizens . Could be a great spot to spend my dotage !

Great to tick the boxes but I still love my binocs and the back garden.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 20 inch dob down at astroadventures when I was kindly invited by Carl and Steph (Dark Knight and Dobserver) to spend a few days with them there. It was in the depths of winter, and the views were staggering, and yes, it did give me aperture fever :)

Rob

The largest aperture I looked through was at the local Observatory

they have a 12 inch Meade sct. It was my first view of Uranus.

The largest physical sope was again at the local Observatory and

It is an 1871 10inch refractor it must be 3m long, The moon and Saturn were quite impressive.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Similar to Leo, the 12" Northumberland.

But was also there the night about a years and a half back when we could have a peek through the 3mtr scope they have.

It was pointed at Saturn that night. Slightly spectacular.

Only thing I can say is that scopes like that are outside of the amateur budget so no possible thought of buying one ever.

24" Dobbo at The Parador Hotel in Tenerife at 2,000m.

Absolutely Jaw-dropping views in dark skies.

Red and green colours seen in M42.

Formerly small fuzzy blobs were transformed into characterful spiral galaxies with twists and knots in arms and everything.

Well recommended.

Archived