Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galaxy advice

toml42

Galaxies are now the only class of object i've not yet attempted in my new scope. Obviously i'm not expecting hubble quality or anything, but how much structure would one be able to make out with 8" of aperture under reasonably dark skies?

Does anyone have any suggestions of easy to find / view galaxies for a beginner? other than m31, that is!

M81/82 are nicely placed at the moment.

Not for me unfortunately :) i can't see further west than the tail of ursa major from my main observing site, so m81 / 82 are out :D i should be able to snag m101 at a pinch though, cheers

M101 is large and has low surface brightness, making it one of the harder Messier galaxies. The easiest (i.e. ones with highest core surface brightness) are:

according to data at http://www.eskimo.com/~rachford/observing/galaxy_phot/beginner_galaxies.html

The best time to look at any galaxy is when it lies due south and is therefore highest in the sky, so that the minimum of light is cut out by the atmosphere. Also the best time is when the sun is far enough below the horizon so that there is absolutely no twilight and the sky is as dark as it can get. These factors make galaxy viewing a seasonal pastime, with July not being the easiest time for hunting.

As to what you can see, an 8" will show the spiral arms of M51 if the sky is dark enough, the object is high enough, and sufficient power is used. M81/82 are certainly ideal objects to start with, whenever they're suitably placed for viewing. To start with, simply delight in the sight of the pair of them at low power. Going to higher power, note the difference in brightness of the centre of M81 as opposed to its outer reaches (evidence of its spiral structure), and look for signs of tidal distortion in M82, particularly a small, dark irregular bar across the central region.

i would wait a month or so at least, untill the skies darken. summer isnt the best time for galaxies.

anyway the best thing is to train your eye to see DSO's. at first a galaxy outline wont look very clear, but with averted vision and some persistance, you should be able to make out a definate shape to most messier objects under dark skies

rich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, seeing galaxy structure is tough with an 8", but I've seen the spiral arms of

M51 from my club's dark site in the spring, when it's high up, confirmed by two

others.

You may see the main dust lane in M31 under excellent skies, it was obvious in

a 10" from N. Norfolk a couple of years ago ( not at Kelling, but from Fieldview

Astronomy B&B near Fakenham )

When viewing M31 don't forget nearby M32, easy, & M110, harder.

Cheers, Ed.

Managed to get a decent look at m31 and m32 last night, despite rather horrid light pollution from the neighbours and a nearly full moon. Tried to get m110, but conditions really didn't allow.

The bright core was obvious, and i thought i could see a faint mist filling the eyepiece to either side.

Going to a reasonably dark area in south of france next week, and although i can't take my scope, unfortunately, i'm bringing my 9x50 finder with me as a stand in for a decent pair of binoculars. not sure what this will allow, but m31 and 32 were both visible in it under my glowing skies, so we shall see

Archived