NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first ever NLC display

Hi everyone,

I have been watching for NLCs the entire Summer, and I finally saw them last night. What an amazing sight - so eerie and enticing! I watched them until around midnight, where I looked outside onto the best Milky Way I have seen yet! I could see massive star fields, and even the lighter and darker areas where the dark nebulosity lies! Here are the NLCs from 53 degrees north, 0.7 degrees west:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eReV-wsFOMk

NLC1.png

NLC2.png

NLC3.png

NLC4.png

Thanks Carol. I've submitted them to the Sky at Night magazine's Hotshots so maybe I'll get lucky :) By the way, I think it's fantastic that you have a monthly page in the magazine - that must be amazing (to be able to share your passion with so many others in such a way). Keep it up, and good luck with your NLC sightings!

George.

Thanks for the comments - yes, they were really weird. It's also interesting to think that the people of this century are the only ones to see NLCs - it makes you wonder what they are connected to.

Nigel - I used a Sanyo VPC-S700 compact camera in 'night scene' mode, where it decided to give me a 1-second exposure. I then changed the levels a bit in Paint.net, and did a bit of noise reduction.

Thanks.

Archived