NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orionids Meteor shower

Carl

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orionids meteor shower is one of my favs observed these many a year and often (if not cloudy) don't disapoint, armed with the Camera i will be going into the countryside and trying to get some shots using a static tripod..

Anyone else planning on some images?

James :rolleyes:

PS:Good links chaps!

Anyone else planning on some images?

I am now!

I'll just set up a long exposure to get some star trails and some meteors are bound to show up.

I might try my dot trails with that if I have the patience and time. mind you, astronomy is all about patience and time i suppose, so I'd better give it my best.

can you observe meteors with a telescope, or would it just be flashes, if you're lucky?

Astrophethean

To be honest, I wouldn't know how to image a meteor. The only thing I can do is do a 15 sec exposure of constellations..

Hi Kain, what camera do you have? (all details please!) if it's an SLR and has got a screw thread on the shutter release button, you can buy a cheap shutter release cable. Stick the camera on manual and switch to Bulb and leave the shutter open until the clouds come along, then close the shutter again.

As with my Minolta SLR, you have to buy a dedicated release cable that cost me £25 which plugs in the side of the camera. It's worth investing in one so you can go beyond the 30 sec auto of most cameras. Before I got that cable I tried holding the button down with my finger for as long as possible! I think I also tried using blu-tac to keep the shutter down! :? :rolleyes: It's sad, isn't it? Those early attempts were disastrous!

Astrophethean

can you observe meteors with a telescope, or would it just be flashes, if you're lucky?

As a rule of thumb the wider your view the more likely you are to see them but you can observe them in your Binoculars or Telescope just there so fast in the FOV it's not really worth the bother and you lose the romanace of seeing them IMHO..

When there's a Shower close to the Moon then looking at the Moon through a Telescope can be fun, too watch the Meteors hit the Moon and come out the other side (Not really hitting the Moon but the Moon light renders them invisible for a moment) :rolleyes:

Longer you can keep ya shutter open the better chance you will have of capturing a meteor, just remember if your Light Pollution is anything like mine not to keep it open too long or else it will wash out your image and render it useless...

James

Ah so it did post then.I was at college when i posted it.But when i posted it, i went on to the main SGL page and it didn`t look like it posted it.And my computer was being a bitch taking like, billions of years to load.But now it`s fast.ohhhhhhhh yer!!!! 8)

I`ll up most of the night looking at the Orionids meteors shower.My first I`m sooooo excited. :D:rolleyes:

Good luck MD hopefully this year Will be a good one and a clear night, but if you take a look between the 18th and 25th you may get to see some when it's not even at maximun plus more chance of beating any clouds that may want to be barstewards on the proper nights..

James

[can you observe meteors with a telescope, or would it just be flashes, if you're lucky?

If you are looking through a scope, with a (typical) FOV of 1 degree, you are seeing about 1/25000th of the sky. Catching a meteor, given those odds, is rare indeed.

Just sit back and watch, and use a camera with a why-dangle lens. You don't necessarily need to point towards Orion, but that is where the meteors will appear to ocme from. As Orion is rising fairly late, I would point the camera ahead of Orion just after it rises.

Good luck. If it isn't snowing, I'm going to have a go at them. Note that previous years have had a secondary maximum on the 17th/18th, as well as the 21st.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll be at work till about 4 am but hopefully I'll catch some then. On a side note there was a guy from Greenwich observatory on the radio on Thursday night saying to expect meteors that night. He said they were fragments of Haleys comet. I didnt see any of them, did anyone else ?

Archived