NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orionids Meteor shower

Carl

Clear here in Essex last night, set up Canon Powershot S70 on tripod for multiple 15 sec exposures (the cameras maximum) and after 34, actually caught one but it's very faint even though visually it was fairly bright.

Was a pretty disappointing shower, despite clear skies only saw a handful up until 3:30 this morning. Still, got lots of quality scope time in so musn't grumble!

Justin

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had something like 45 seconds viewing the shower before i went to bed, a clear patch in the clouds opened up and i managed to observe no less than 9 bright meteors in that space, to say i was peeved at the clouds is an understatement :rolleyes:. Still at least i observed something of it, the time was 3.28am and the Meteors were perfectly placed at there estimated Radiant..

James :?

Just back from Kielder. Weather was rainy until about 10.30pm (I think it was 10.30pm - been in tent, having a few drinks and didn't check the time). Then it cleared up (om and off) until about 2am this morning. Saw perhaps 20 Orionids - missed plenty more, from the "oohs and ahhs" sounding around the Kielder campsite.

Tom

Managed some observing Saturday night with a friend's scope. (He wanted my evaluation since the scope is new. Well, to him at least.) We saw several dozen Orionids between 9pm to 12am MST. All were bright, fast and left trails. No telling how many we missed while looking into the scope, but it seemed every time we looked up, there was another one. Splendid shower this year!

Archived