NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pier head

Glider

A few weeks back I bought an EQ5 tripod head from AstroBoot for a tenner. I'm hoping this will make a good pier head.

I've just got around to milling and drilling some mounting blocks.

My idea is to attach the head to a concrete filled 6" plastic pipe(as people do) using 3 off 50cm long lengths of 12mm threaded bar.

Where do people source their 6" pipe?

post-17592-13387745941_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877459418_thumb.jpg

post-17592-133877459425_thumb.jpg

I can't believe its so hard to find this size pipe, I just did a google and nothing really showed up. Thinking outside the box though I do have a rigid flue pipe in the loft still in situ from when our boiler was internal, now its fitted in the garage on an outside wall. Need to see what it is made of either galvanised or stainless, may well do for my pier if I ever get around to doing it.

Got mine from here:

Toolstation > Structural > 160mm Underground > 3M Plain End Pipe

inc next day delivery - ok, the price is higher but when you take into account the Postage the other guys charging its almost the same. And you buy some of the other bits and pieces you're bound to need and not pay more p&p :p

Just need to get round to figuring out where exactly to put my obs and start digging the hole :D

Alan

I'm going to use M12 studding, 3 off 1m lengths sunk into the concrete before it goes off. I can get a 3m length for £5, mild steel, bright zinc plated.

I'm assuming the plating makes it good for outside, it'll be covered from direct rain anyway?

Treat the "bare" ends with something like "Jenolite" - a rust preventative. Or use a dab of paint on the bare metal.

If you use studding (threaded rod) make sure you put a bend in it that is held within the setting concrete - this will lock it into place.

My own BZP studding has been in place for over six months and is fine - just has a dab of hammerite on the bare ends.

Nice one Glider, and a good modification to an existing part. Keep the threaded rod above the concrete as short as possible mate, I would be concerned with flex in the rods with the weight of a full rig on it. I use M16 in my Pier Tops and that seems upto the job. I maybe just a worry wart but it might be worth considering before you set the rods in.

But as I said, a great idea......

Gary

Archived