Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WOW Saturn

solti

I saw Saturn for the first time tonight and all I can say is WOW. :rolleyes:

I got my orientation correct, theres Venus,nice and bright, left a bit and up a bit should be Mars, so the last one must be Saturn, thanks to Stellarium. Finder zeroed in adjust EP WOW, solti then runs in doors like a loony and grabs wifey insisting she comes and has a look. Wifey said I could not wake the girls up, school night, I could show them tomorrow :)

Its been said before and I will say it again you see pictures, print and TV, and read about the rings but it must be a big buzz for everyone the first time they see Saturn for real. It is the most recognizable plant, no mistake when you find it.

Tried various EPs and barlow and settled for barlow x 2 and a 15mm EP. This gave a nice focused image and stayed in view without to many nudges of little dob. I did try barlow x 3 and a 9mm EP nice image but nudging and refocusing was a pain.

Also watched the ISS going over, now that is moving fast, poor little dob couldn't keep up with it.

Tonight going in the log as a great night :)

Well done on your first sighting of Saturn, if one thing up there in that massive universe of ours is going to hook someone onto Astronomy, Saturn is the thing to do it!:rolleyes:

What a shame your girls could'nt have seen it as well, i hope the weathers ok for you tomorrow.

I seen the ISS pass overhead myself at about 1.30ish while i was out walking my dog, id forgotten it was due over this morning and i just happened to look up as it was above me! never fails to make me smile when i see it:)

Very well done! Let us know what your girls' reactions are when they get to see it, ok? :rolleyes: The first glimpse of Saturn is one of those 'lifetime' moments that we can recall quite vividly, no matter how long ago it happened... i can still feel the July fog that hung in the air, and smell it's dampness.

Memories... wonderful stuff. :)

great init!

My very first views of saturn was back in 1990 ish and what made it even more special was i seen it with my first home made telescope.

It was made from a 60mm objective from russian 20x60 bins,i picked up focusser from tasco 60mm refractor,0.96. and a glen morangie whisky cardboard tube.

I sat and spent a few hours one evening making this scope,just to try and see saturn,i knew it was there but had no telescope,and i was obviously interested as got the bits together.

Anyway made it,and rested it on a bean bag and the rings were right on view,tilted nicely.Oh eyepeice was from the tasco scope.

Cheepo but cheerfull.

It made me smile anyway as i made the scope :D

It smelt a bit,of nice whisky though.

Just thought id share it.

G

Well both daughters have just seen Saturn, Dad became the official little dob nudger for 30 mins. Both amazed that that little twinkle was a planet. :p

I believe I could also see Titan and one of the girls said she could see a little dot as well.

Earlier I had pointed out Venus, all I got was "its bright, is that it?" :D

Archived