Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virgin collimation help please!

Evening all.

Not used my scope for about a year and the other night thought i would fire the old girl up! focused onto a star and was rather glum to find my scope is out and the star was more like a blob with a fire like tail!

I have never collimated a scope before and have looked over the net for an idiot's guide but everything seems to be pointed at people who have done it all before!

I have made a collimating cap and wanting to used this to collimate my skywatcher d:114 f:1000 as things being tight would rather use money saved on a buying an cheshire collimator on taking the family out to the zoo etc.

Is it possible to use just the cap?

Can anyone point me to a numpty's guide?

Any help greatly appreciated

Joe

I have finally "successfully" collimated my scope :rolleyes:. Hip hip hooray!!

I modified the cap i made from a old camera film cannister by glueing a washer on the inside of it dead center, So i had a guide i could see in the reflection. i testing it last night...... eh hem i mean this morning at 2am lol and it has worked perfectly.

Really couldnt have done it without the help of astro baby though so thank you very much.

Joe

Hi Jason,

Good idea, didnt think of spraying the inside mate but i gather it would do the same or a piece of paper, i just put a washer on as the cap had a recess on the inside that fitted the washer snuggly right in the middle. Then it was just a case of drilling a small hole in the centre of the washer through the cap to peep through.

i just found it a little hard lining the mirrors up with out any sort of marker.

Archived