NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M57- How should it look thru my scope

Hi Forum, I managed to get outside and do some observing last night with my 10" Dob. I located M57 on low magnification.. It appeared as a smallish "smoke ring". On my full magnification (3mm with x2 Barlow) the smoke ring was larger, but still quite blurred although it was visible. I could not see the central star. I have not had the opportunity to look thru any other scopes for comparison, so I have no yardstick. My question is this about all I should be able to see from M57 at this time of year in not truly dark skies?

Cheers,

xmal

What you see is more or less what I see through my 10" scope. I use an OIII filter as well which pulls out a little more structure and shows a bit more nebulosity in "the hole". The neb takes power but 3mm would be too much - I find a 7mm provides an excellent view.

I don't see colour in the neb or the central star.

Try the Dumbell Nebula (Messier 27) in Vulpecula (not too far away from Lyra) - it's larger than the Ring and just as fascinating in it's own way.

What you saw sounds about right to me. I was using a 9mm EP at the time (giving me a magnification of 72X). The central star is really only visible with the largest apeture scopes.

P.S.~~~what scope were you using?

Added to my profile now. Also a correction on the eyepiece. School boy error.

Added to my profile now. Also a correction on the eyepiece. School boy error.

Same scope that I have - nice :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Veil Nebula in Cygnus through it a few nights ago - you need an OIII filter to do it justice (actually to see much of it at all on these summer nights) but it did look lovely :)

Same scope that I have - nice :rolleyes:

I was looking at the Veil Nebula in Cygnus through it a few nights ago - you need an OIII filter to do it justice (actually to see much of it at all on these summer nights) but it did look lovely :)

I guess I will have to get my posts up to 50 so I can buy one of those OIII filters 2nd hand lol. I will try yo get out again tonight weather permitting :)

Hi Xmal. :rolleyes: To me, M57 looks like a smoke ring which becomes a smoke 'oval' at higher magnification. The blurriness you mentioned is normal as you increase magnification. The nebula takes on a 'gauzy' appearance, much softer looking than the smoke ring seen at lower power. Hope this helps.

That was exactly my experience also when i added a 2X barlow to my 9mm EP.

Hi Xmal. :rolleyes: To me, M57 looks like a smoke ring which becomes a smoke 'oval' at higher magnification. The blurriness you mentioned is normal as you increase magnification. The nebula takes on a 'gauzy' appearance, much softer looking than the smoke ring seen at lower power. Hope this helps.

That's a relief! TBH I was just happy to find it with the Dobson Mount. Left is right, up is down etc. I guess you know what I mean. I am glad I got this "bagged" and from my back garden in the city too!!

One Messier down.... Let's look for the next one :)

Archived