NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB over Ethernet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cat5e should be ok to 300Mbits and Cat6 is gigabit. It may be possible to get the Cat5e to work over a short distance at higher than 300Mbits but no guarantee of that. With a long run to an obsy you would probably have issues with retries and the bus will set it self at a speed it can best achieve.

Intresting that the link you supplied Pete was from a company called Cat5 possibly may not be an unbiased view then :rolleyes:

Well my order status on Expansys was 6 days.....then 9 days.....the 31 days

I just cancelled it, either they don't exist any more or are very hard to get a hold of

I will start looking elsewhere

Nice one Alan can you let us know how it goes?

They are £112 Inc next day delivery from this place:

http://www.wmltd.co.uk/

I've chickened out till next month. Anyone else want to be a guinea pig? Either that or we will wait and see how Alan's mate gets on :D

• 3 weeks later...

Any luck on connecting all you gear to your computer?

I'm about to do the same thing. I have my telescope with all the gear outside, and my computer in the office inside. Perhaps this USB2 to Gigabit bridge would solve my problem.

£75 delivered they sell for so you will get one a lot cheaper than £112 on the internet

if you struggle i will ask my mate steve for the link to who he got his from :eek:

he still has not got it connected yet due to work commitments but i am sure he will let me know when he does

Alan

I found the unit here in Sweden, and it is in stock.

Do you think the USB->Serial converter will work with this? Since I must connect my Celestron CGEM mount through a serial port, I'm using a USB->Serial adapter. Hopefully the Silex unit will be able to do that, since it's just and extension, so I can reach my mount on the virtual COM-port generated by the USB-Serial converter.

My gear that will be connected are:

Nikon D300 through my DSUSB

Meade DSI II Pro for guiding

Celestron CGEM mount

And a focusing unit not yet purchased

• 4 weeks later...

I have just found this Iomega iConnect Hub in Tesco's of all places it states it is WLAN 150mbit and gigabit wired with 4 host usb 2.0 ports

Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station!

I will take a punt on it and if it is no good should be able to take it back. It may be limited to hard drives and memory devices. Here's hoping it can control any USB device remotely :)

Regards

Kevin

We have now tested the Silex unit and can confirm that it works a treat, my cat5e cable run was 40ft and it worked like a dream with no connection issues at all. The software is also very nifty as it has its own ip address and was very intuitive to use.

I plugged a 7 port hub into the 1st usb socket and my main imagining camera (band width) into its own usb port and it went without a glitch

cheers

Alan

I have not read all of the thread so I will be jumping in blind. I have just started to furnish my obsy and I have put 3 cat5 cables in and they do the following:

1 x monitor using VGA (+Audio) Cat5 Extender EVA214

1 x keyboard and mouse using PS/2 Mouse & Keyboard Extender over CAT5e

1 x camera using a USB Cat5 RJ45 Lan Ethernet Extender Repeater Extension

So far all is working well, I can remote to the computer in the house and vise versa to the telescope.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought the Silex 3000 gigabit ethernet to USB adapter and all was going well with all my devices recognised with the exception of both my main imaging camera and DSI guide camera. They would only work when plugged directly into the Silex 3000's 2 usb ports. This meant I then had nothing to plug the hub into with the connection to the SX filter wheel, GPUSB ST4 adapter, Mount connection and Electronic Focuser.

I have tried 2 different hubs to no avail and also tried using a router instead of a direct connection to the Silex but cannot get it to recognise a camera being plugged in via an external powered hub.

Alan (Moocher) did you get any success plugging in a camera via a hub into the silex?

Regards

Kevin

Archived