Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

USB over Ethernet

I've just put a modified Microsoft Lifecam in the obs, originally as a time-lapse skycam, but it turns out it will be more of a security and automation recording camera.

See here: http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/103952-allsky-camera-well-sort.html

It's plugged into the obs PC but I don't really want to do the recording on that PC and ad more overheads to the critical imaging and automation software it's running.

I have a server machine in the house that can act as the recorder, however it is too long away to connect the USB for the camera, I've tried USB Cat5e extenders but the cheap one's only do USB 1.1, and I need 2.0 for this camera to run at 720p.

I've found this great little piece of software that will allow you to share USB devices on your network. You will need to be on a wired network if you are using high-speed devices, but maybe USB serial adapters will work on wireless?

Get it here: Download USB over Ethernet 2.4.1 Free Trial - Share your USB devices over Ethernet and Internet, access remote USB devices. - Softpedia

USB-over-Ethernet_1.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will still mean your PC in the obsy will be streaming the data from the camera and will take the same overhead as if it was recording. You will need CAT6 cable and a gigabit network including gigbit router or direct PC to PC connection to allow enough bandwidth for USB2.0

Regards

Kevin

This will still mean your PC in the obsy will be streaming the data from the camera and will take the same overhead as if it was recording. You will need CAT6 cable and a gigabit network including gigbit router or direct PC to PC connection to allow enough bandwidth for USB2.0

Regards

Kevin

What I should have added is that I have a time lapse capturing software running on the server machine making an AVI on the fly, and it's only doing one frame per 1 sec

I will do a comparison of recording on the obs PC vs recording via the stream

The major amount of CPU usage is in the recording

I'm using HandyAVI to record the frames from the camera

Recording on Obs PC:

HandyAVI: 0 - 70%

USBServer: 0 - 30%

Obs PC CPU Usage: 100%

Recording on Remote PC:

USBServer (Obs PC): 0 - 30%

Obs PC overall CPU Usage: 40-50%

HandyAVI (Remote PC): 0 - 40% (faster machine)

Remote PC overall CPU Usage: 40 - 55%

So you can see, if I had to record on the obs PC I wouldn't be doing much else :)

Are you using a gigabit LAN if it is 10/100Mbit it will not support USB 2.0 speed of 480Mbits.

Are the figures you give above an actual test of the proposed set up?

Regards

Kevin

It's 100Mbits LAN, the time-lapse software is only doing 1 FPS at 720p so it isn't using anywhere near the full speed of USB2.0

Opening the camera preview doesn't work at full 25 FPS until I get to a resolution of about 1/4 of the full 720p it can do, so for some less-bandwith hungry devices it should be quite happy

Going gigabit would be nice, you have me thinking now as both my PC's have gigabit cards, maybe time to bypass my Sky wireless router :)

Are the figures you give above an actual test of the proposed set up?

Yes, that's it in action

I'm quite impressed with the efficiency of the USB server software. All my imaging software should be quite happy with the resources that are left

As soon as thay can support a Gigabit LAN then you will not have the need for a PC in the Obsy or outside.

I've just been hunting around and came up with this...

sx-3000gb.jpg

Silex - SX-3000GB - USB Device Connectivity - USB over IP - Gigabit

Silex Launches Gigabit USB Device Server - It allows virtually any USB device to be connected to a wired or wireless network - Softpedia

Industry’s First Gigabit USB Device Networking Solution designed to easily share multiple USB devices over the network.

One 10/100/1000Base Ethernet port that can be connected to a wireless router for wireless USB device networking

Two Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports supporting up to one amp of USB bus power combined

Connect up to 15 USB devices (scanners, network storage, etc.) to the network with a USB hub

If that works I could actually lose the obs PC and use my PC in the house :)

The first one I linked to is no good as a further look at it shows that it is just for remote Media and a print server. The Silex device looks good but may not yet be available over here yet. The second link to the Belkin device looks a promising half way house with a WLAN speed of 300Mbits per second which is 3/5th of a USB bandwidth. Although you will need a 300Mbit wireless router. Seems dumb not to fit it with a gigabit wired connection.

Regards

Kevin

Here is a video review of the SX-3000GB

I can't watch it as my broadband connection is getting crushed every night now ever since the World Cup started. I have a feeling too many people are watching live feeds :)

jT__mm6_tTk

Seems dumb not to fit it with a gigabit wired connection.

Belkin are really close they must have something in development, maybe there isn't quite the demand for it?

This has really made me think about how I run my setup, I have remote focusing and full goto so the only thing I should have to do outside is open the obs and take a bahtinov on and off

I got a Gigabit switch today only to realise the obs PC has a 100Mbit only NIC - Doh!

Will get a Gigabit PC card tomorrow and try the Lifecam @ 720p and see what happens

I'm seriously tempted by the SX-3000GB, Expansis reckon they can get one in 6 days for £76.99, it looks like wherever you buy it they ship from the US

Buy a Silex Technology SX-30000 USB Device Server (with Gigabit Ethernet), #SX-3000GB - eXpansys UK

Whoops going back on the Expansys site made me drool and pull the trigger...

Hopefully it should arrive by next week (along with the 383) and I will do a wee bit of a review

I will use it as a full "Observatory Hub" with the following hanging off it

1. Atik 383L+

2. QHY5

3. EQ6 Pro (via Keyspan USB/Serial Adaptor then EQMOD)

4. Velleman K8055 (Observatory automation control)

5. FCUSB

6. Microsoft Lifecam Cinema running @ 720p

If that doesn't break it nothing will

:rolleyes:

Dont forget your cat6 cable as well

How important is it?

I have two runs to the switch, each one not more than 10m ran in Cat5e

I've just upgraded the both ends to Gigabit, and I can now run the Lifecam over the USB at 25FPS @ 720p, it work's great

The downside, which makes me glad I have the SX-3000GB on the way is the Obs PC takes a kicking streaming at full frame rate. It's hitting 80-90% with nothing else running

Archived