Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I use a Digital video camera for Astro Photography?

OK,

I would like to try out this photography thing that seems to be so popular. I have only got an 80mm reflector and it is not on a good mount etc so I am looking to start taking moon shots, to see if astronomy and in particular astro-photography are for me!

I have seen that quite a few people use webcams and I was about to start bidding for one on ebay when I thought what about my Digital Video Camera? It has a firewaire interface and I can capture straight to my laptop etc. So would this work? Or am I missing something that the small webcams have over the bigger Video cameras? If a webcam is what is needed will any webcam do? does it need to be black/white?

I know with my small setup etc that I wont get he best pictures and am not expecting to get any shots of the planets etc I just want to know what camera equipment I need to get started?

Hi BLINKY

Roger here , ok well i did start off using my video camera fixed to my eye piece, to begin with i thought this was great and managed some fair images, the problem is , control over that ,its pretty hit and miss ,

witha web cam such as say the Toucam pro which is in colour,u have the software provided with it ,or better still get the free download of KCCD TOOLS this is far better , where once the image is on screen you have a lot of control over exposure etc, and focus which plays a huge part in any astro imaging, for moon images and planets as long as you have a driven mount, it wont be a problem, using a barlow x2 or 3x will give you closer in images of the moon , now this is where u need very good focus , and of course ideal conditions , so thats about it really , Toucam imaging is a good way to start as its cheap, and nothing lost if you dont think its your scene, thats about it really

i wish you good luck ,

Hi Mate,

Like Roger i too started off with a Camcorder/Digital Video Camera, it's fantastic for images of the Moon and also watching it on a big TV screen if you have one, one of the first things i did was to setup the camera on my (Driven mount) and Telescope invite some people round and we had a mini Moon Party/Star Party..

Imaging wise you will get some nice Moon ones and from what ive seen in the past some amazing Planetary images can be had too....

Nothing more to add that Roger hasnt covered, except maybe ask how much OPTICAL zoom does your camera have?(Not digital because that will make your images blocky)..

James

The camera was one of the first digital cameras and no longer records. I will connect it up with firewire are record from there. It has a 20X optical zoom so should be pretty good. It also has manual control of focus/shutter and Iris, so should be ideal!!!

What software do you suggest I use?

BYW will this do the job of connecting it to my 'Scope?

AC530 ADAP-T Eyepiece to Camera Attachment System http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=FF83D60A06CD4FAF978FC176B2EE2C30&action=lnk

What sort of quality will I get compaired with a webcam or one of the cheap purpose built CCD's? I ask as I wonder if its worth paying for the adapter or should I just buy a second hand Toucam or other webcam from Ebay?

If you have a laptop then i would strongly suggest getting a Toucam Pro 2 less hassle and far far better results (blows the Video Camera sence of the planet), or if Deep Sky objects are also you thing get a Modded Toucam as this will allow long time exposures needed for DSOs.. Purpose built CCD's cost more and are more of a learning curve than the Webcams/Toucams, once your happy about your imaging with Toucams etc etc then maybe think about getting a Astro CCD camera like Roger has now..

OK here is the plan! Get the adapter for my old video camera. Get some good shots of the moon. THEN.... Sell the camera with the mount, maybe on ebay maybe astrobuysell.com and get a Toucam. As I have spent 8 years of my life as an electronic engineer (before moving into IT) I 'should' be able to do the mod myself! THEN I will need to get a better 'scope than my 80mm Reflector, hopefully a 4.5" or maybe 5" Reflector with a motor THEN.......

Archived