Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do i need a Filter wheel?

I would like to have a light polution filter when in using my DSLR also webcam, and Visual.

If i get a filter wheel I can put on in here and use that?

This if for my 8inch SCT

I wouldn't have thought a filter wheel was necessary unless you are imaging with a mono camera and you need LRGB filters. It's quite easy to screw in the light polution filter as and when needed. I have just sold a filter wheel as I will not be doing colour imaging with a mono camera. I do use filters, but only one at once. The filter wheel is just unnecessary weight.

Just my opinion.

Dave

I don't know the fittings on the scope, but the SLR really works best with 2" fittings, less is going to introduce vignetting. What are you planning on imaging though ? If you're using the webcam for lunar/planetary, the frame rate, and therefore the exposure time is too short for LP to be a problem (I'd have thought). I've never used an LP filter on anything other than deep sky (I do use a red filter on my mono lunar images...)

I plan on Imaging a bit of everything really, hence why im looking for a single option to cover all my bases.

Light pollution here is really bad, but so are my images ! HAHA

I could use a 1.25 for my visial and CCD and get the EOS Clip filter for my Camera, maybe that is the best option.

If I was you I would get a 2" Light pollution filter.

Then get yourself a 2" - 1.25" Adapter with a 2" filter thread. Then you can use the 2" filter for both 1.25" kit and the DSLR!

Just a suggestion.

Ant

Great idea Ant cheers, now for the questions :)

How would all that chain together?

Scope - 2 inch adaptor with Filter - 2 inch to 1.25 inch adaptor - CCD,Eyepiece, DSLR

You can get a pair of Borg adaptors that allow you to leave a 2" filter on the SCT all the time iths an SCT Female - 2" - SCT male sandwich... bit works out around £40

SCS Astro used to supply tme when you bought the SCT version of the Hutech filters they sell - which was actually a 2" filter and the two borg parts...

Peter...

Archived