NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

If you have a synscan handset would you mind looking at something for me ?

My mount/handset kept turning itself off last night and generally misbehaved when it was on :) I have only had it a couple of weeks and only used it twice.

Upon inspection I think the problem might lie with tne cable which runs between the handset and the mount. If I look in the connector at end which plugs in to the mount there are 6 individual wires but if I look in the the connector which goes in to the handset there are only 5, The white one has been cut at the same level as the cable coating. I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be, I would really appreciate someone having a look at theirs and letting me know before I decide what to do.

Thanks, Sarah.

This will probably not be of much help. The end that plugs into my mount (NEQ6) has 9 pins. I cannot see how many wires as the plug is moulded. At the handset end there seem to be 8 coloured wires and as far as I can tell are all connected. (White, brown, yellow, green, red, black, violet, blue)

Dave

Don't panic about the handset to mount cable its fine, mine is the same. I suspect the problem your having is the power cable or more so where is plugs into the mount. If you have a look at the male pin on the mount you will find that it has a split down the middle, you can splay this pin slightly with an electrical screwdriver to make better contact with the female plug when plugged in.

Regards

Brett:)

I've got 60 year old eyes so a bit of a struggle but ..... I think my connections are the same as Dave's.

The plug that goes into the mount has 9 pins but as with Dave's it is a moulded plug so I can't see wires.

The plug to the handset is transparent - there are 8 pins and there is a wire connected to each one. I'm also colour blind so best not to ask me for help there :)

I'll send you some info in a PM.

Mike

Here is a pic of what I'm referring too

dsc00174jc.jpg

You can see the split in the male pin, this can be opened slightly to acheave a better contact. OVL gave me this advise when i first had problems.

An AC/DC 12v mains adaptor, I don't think it's that.

Might be significant, as I had real problems with a basic AC/DC adaptor which I had for a while. My HEQ5 Synscan mount kept resetting itself randomly, which I think was caused by fluctuating power. Sometimes it would be fine for 40-60 minutes, but at other times it would reset itself after 10 mins.

I finally replaced the power unit with one of these and its been fine since.

Brett I think you might have cracked it. My initial feling last night was that it was a power issue but I couldn't work out what it was. I'm not at home now but I'll have a look later.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Sarah

I plug the cable in then loop the cable to the side of the socket and stick the cable to the mount with duct tape. This prevents any chance of the cable being pulled out as the mount rotates, and the loop applies a bit of pressure on the plug to keep it in.

you may want to cut the plastic back slightly on the connector so it inserts slightly further... I know i have to on mine.... Sharp knife and remove a couple of mm. Allows the tip to be inserted deeper.

I have had a look at the pin in the power connector and I can't even see a split, there seemed to be one pokey with no split and a metal clamp at the top (inside) presumably to hold the pin in place :)

I am going away for 2 weeks tomorrow so I don't really have the time to fiddle around with it but when I get back i'll try to get to the bottom of it. It might be that is is something to do with the adaptor so when I get home and if I haven't spent all my money in Turkey i'll buy a powertank and see if that makes a difference. If not i'll send it back to FLO for a swap. I don't have the technical knowledge to do much myself and I don't want to break it even more. As far as i could see last night it was all connected properly and it wasn't only switching off when it was slewing, it seemed to be quite random. Who knows.

Anyway, Thanks all for your help :icon_scratch:

post-19785-133877456192_thumb.jpg

Interesting. At some time or other it looks like one of your mounts has had its DC power connector changed. Since yours is black and square and doesn't really match the silver mount and its recess I'd say Worzels has been changed.

Getting back to your original problem;

Check the power supply can supply at least 12Vdc at 1.5A, all may appear OK until you try a fast slew in both axis at the same time.

Check the dc plug/socket aren't loose, eventually it might work loose with vibration.

Check the handset cable isn't loose, as above.

Anyone of the above can give the symptoms you are seeing.

Infact, I recall a thread about a second hand mount, where someone had rightly changed/repaired the dc connector but had accidently introduced a dry joint when they did it.

Worth checking inside perhaps if all else fails?

the black connector is the OLD type... They now have a silver one with a screw on bit so the power lead doesnt fall out... Make sure you have a 2.1mm tip.

Inside your 2.1 tip you may have 2 slight indentations where you can get a pin down and CLOSE the gap seeing you cant widen the connector on the scope... Like i said on my 2.1 tip i had to remove some material so it inserted deep enough to make good contact... Play around with the lead when inserted and see if you get intermitant power?

Archived