Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the hobby and have purchased a used Sky Scout. The plan is for me and my young son to use this together in combination with our binos and dob.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sky Scout, are the expansion SD cards worth getting?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael - we have a Skyscout - I bought it for my g/f for xmas and she loves it. First I find it really useful cos if I'm ever disorientated when setting the scope up she will find me a star to align (using it's gps). Second - we have the expansion cards and for someone learning the sky it is a great way to do it. You can pull up constellation diagrams and examine the info for individual objects within it. It'll IDent objects for you as well as guide you to an object you select. Along with binos it's a fun thing to use.

One thing I would avise with it - when getting a gps fix stay well away from metal (eg cars, fences, pipes etc) and avoid pylons and overhead cables like the plague - it get upset near them lol. Also - make sure you get the up to date software patches from the website. Keep and eye on the for sale section here - they come up very cheap from time to time.

Hope that helps and all the best with it. :)

Thanks !!! I was hoping that the SD cards were good. Also i heard something about being able to update the unit online? Is this an expansion on the database that the unit is supplied with?

My wee boy is excited about this comming, pity it's going to be a while before we really get the use out of it, what with it being summer an all :)

I liked summer before i started this hobby, now i just see it as "down time":(

Thanks !!! I was hoping that the SD cards were good. Also i heard something about being able to update the unit online? Is this an expansion on the database that the unit is supplied with?

My wee boy is excited about this comming, pity it's going to be a while before we really get the use out of it, what with it being summer an all :)

I've got a skyscout and it really is a handy thing to have around. Your son will love it, point it at the sky and identify and locate stars etc......get him some 10x50 binos to use with it and it will give him hours of enjoyment.

When it arrives it will have a limited database installed but there is an update on the Celestron website updating the units database from about 4,000 objects to 40,000.

I don't have any SD Card expansion packs so can't comment on them.

Regards

Yup - the SD cards are good for kids starting out - it'll even give you an audio output (allbeit in an American accent) if you have ear plug speakers. For an adult though the info soon becomes quite elementary.

The updates tend to be whatever they decide to include. It's usually software but sometimes you get a bit more database info.

You can still use it in the summer or daytime - but if it's not dark (or if it's cloudy) then you'll only be getting positional info rather than something to see with the binocs. :)

Yes you can update the unit database online. The software for doing so is on the disc that comes with the scout.

Archived