Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad help please..................

Hello

I recently took delivery of my Terad finder scope and i have a couple of questions.

Firstly, where abouts should i attach it on my 150 dob? Toward the ap end or further down the tube?

And secondly, how bad is the dewing effect on it? Enough to warrant a sheild (homemade or bought).

Thanks

Al

hi alowen. ive been using the telrad for a few weeks now and so far havent found dewing to be a major problem however i expect that'll get worse the colder it gets later in the year. Ive positioned mine to the right of the 9x50 finder, if you position it any lower down the tube youre in for an uncomfortable time. My 9x50 is a right angle finder though. Ive seen some people attach them to the top of straight through finders with cable ties, this lifts the telrad up a bit. The otehr option is to fit it between the focusser and the finder however you'll have to redrill the finder shoe holes if you do this as theres not much room. Hope this helps!

scroll down about a third of the way down this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97917-dob-has-landed.html and you'll see my set up. even on my 12" dob it's more comfortable right at the top. The dewshield (essential in winter in my view - not been through a full summer yet) was £3 off Astroboot at Scopes 'n' Skies but I also made several versions of my own - see http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/99727-telrad-frost-dew-cover.html

ps did you get double sided foam tape to fit the base? if not then you can get it from car spares shops for about 10p a strip. used for number plate adhesion.

Right, i have removed the 6 x 30 finder scope that came with my dob and also removed the screws and plate from inside and outside the tube.

This left 2 holes that let in light.

I have covered the holes up with black duct tape on the outside of the tube and then attached the 'Telrad' via the supplied sticky strips over the duct taped holes.

It seems to work fine. Will the covered holes in any way affect my scope????? They appear to let no light in at all.

Thanks

Al

I was going to say don't attach it yet just strap it on with a bungy and experiment with what you like best but too late.

As for dew yes they suffer badly so a shield is a must.

Put some tape over the holes.

Archived