Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Right Angle Finder

Is it possible to buy a right angle mirror for a view finder, or do you have to buy the finder and right angle all at once?

I have a 9x50 finder which came with my Celestron C100ED which is perfect apart from the lack of a right angle which is seriously damaging my spine!

Unfortunately while you could fit a diagonal to your finder it wouldn't work as the diagonal would add so much extra length to the light path that it wouldn't focus. I have done this mod in the past but I had to shorten the finder tube by a couple of inches to get enough in-focus with the diagonal.

So yes if your brave enough and have a hacksaw it could be done. :D

John

I'm in exactly the same position as you (that would be knees in the grass, craning my neck under a C100-ED :D )

I've been searching around, the most typical replacement seems to be the Orion/Synta/Skywatcher Right Angle Correct Image (RACI) finder with the appropriate mounting foot for the finder dovetail such as :

Finders - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

Expensive though, and like you I'm looking round for options :D ... for one thing, I'm not sure whether we actually need the mounting frame as that looks basically the same as the one supplied.

Can anyone here offer some cost effective alternative to us guys ? :)

cheers

Dave

I wish they made them commonly and affordably with a standard 1.25" fitting so you could just stick any eyepiece or diagonal or what-have-you on there and have complete flexibility as per situation :D I think I've seen some like that but they carried hefty price tags :D it's only a finder :)

• 1 month later...

:D

I'm in exactly the same position as you (that would be knees in the grass, craning my neck under a C100-ED :) )

I've been searching around, the most typical replacement seems to be the Orion/Synta/Skywatcher Right Angle Correct Image (RACI) finder with the appropriate mounting foot for the finder dovetail such as :

Finders - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

Expensive though, and like you I'm looking round for options :) ... for one thing, I'm not sure whether we actually need the mounting frame as that looks basically the same as the one supplied.

Can anyone here offer some cost effective alternative to us guys ? :)

cheers

Dave

Sky-Watcher Sky-Watcher 6x30 Right-Angled Finderscope

they say that its the same as the others so they dont supply the finder bracket as a rule me im after a a mini one for a WO 72 Megrez no such look.

:icon_salut:Damian

Well you can get ones that will accept any eyepiece (though not diagonal) but as you say they are scary expensive. The Stellarvie F50 for instance is more expensive than a lot of medium sized telescopes.

Not sure if this is of interest but, AstroBoot;

New item. This unusal telescope (based around parts of a binocular) has truly superb 80mm optics with a 350mm focal length. It accepts 1.25" eyepiece furniture forward of the 45 degree prism. Supplied with 45 degree prism and helical focusing eyepiece. Fitted aluminium mounting bracket has three 1/4" UNC/Whitworth threaded holes to allow tripod fitting. With some mods this lightweight telescope would make a great large format finder or guide/utility scope.

£39.00 IN STOCK

Archived