NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which handheld binos?

Hi,

I'm doing a bit of a kit upgrade / purchase and I'm after a pair of good quality binos that would not require a mount. I have a 9x50 finderscope that shows me what a 10x50 bino might be like and I think the weight would likely be ok.

However, I'm considering a 15x70 purchase but I keeping reading things suggesting that they're not really for use without a mount. I would want to be able to stand in my garden and just observe stuff with no mount, or perhaps just lie in a chair. So I need something that will be convenient for hand-held viewing.

Can anyone comment on what might suit?

Thanks,

David

I have the Nikon Action Extreme 10 x 50 and recommend them for both Astro and daylight viewing. They are well made and have great reviews so for the money they are a good choice. I have compared them with with much more expensive roof prism binos (only type on display in the local dealers) and I feel they give an overall better view with a brighter image. They have a wide field of view and are sharp out to about 80 % of the field not bad for the price.

Regards,

Martin

I don't find that my 15x70 Celestron Skymasters require a mount. Obviously it would be better, but i have no problem holding them whilst observing.

On the other hand jittery old me does need a mount for these for longer than a few seconds. You'd probably have to try them to know how you'd fare. It will vary from person to person. I envy Nitram the steady hand.

Olly

i have some 15x70s and i have found that they are not that heavy, i get a good 15mins free hand viewing before the burn starts, more if your sitting in the likes of a sun lounger with arm rests.

i must say that these bins are more stable with my tripod though.

ok, so 10x50 seems certain to be ok as a handheld, but maybe 15x70 would get tiring. I'd rather err on the side of not being tiring I think.

Is there a middleground though, with a 60mm objective? I would go to a shop to check out different models, but there are none where I live so its not really an option.

Thanks for the advice so far.

David

The thing that limits handholding is not so much the weight as the magnification. It's the same with mounts and tracking accuracy. Magnification, if you lke, magnifies the shakes as well as the object. It is a widely accepted rule of thumb in, say, birding circles, that 10x is the max. Even if the bins are tiny compacts this holds true. Many birders prefer 7 or 8 times for steadiness as well as for field of view.

The excepton comes with Image Stabilized bins which I don't have but do like. I tried some 14x Canons and found that with the IS on they gave me a very steady view. They were quite heavy but again that's not really the main problem.

Olly

I use a very old UK-made Wray Nine (9X60) and am thinking of moving on to a new Japan-made Hilkinson 8X56. I think the extra aperture makes a definite difference, but I can't manage 15X70s without a mount of some sort. The old Wray with its primitive coatings still manages to outperform a Lidl Meade/Bresser 10X50 - Hugh.

IMHO..............if you are looking for bins that are strictly for use without a tripod then 10X50 is the best (biggest apeture) bet. I know many people say they can hold 15X70 bins for ages and still observe happily. I personally did not find this the case when i tested a pair out in a shop. I would be much happier to have them on a tripod.

My 20X90s weigh just under 7lbs and i can not hold them for more then 30 seconds and most of that time is spend trying to get a good grip on them. Totally useless without a tripod.

10X50 bins really are a joy to use. I've never tried anything below 10X50 but as Hugh says above I think the extra aperture makes a definite difference,

So even 8x56 would be good. You are losing a slight amount of magnification but you are getting more light gathering ability (more light=more detail).

I have NO idea about IS bins.

Ok...so I think I'm favouring the 10x50 route then. I just need to decide on a couple of contender brands and make a decision.

In terms of budget, I don't really have a fixed limit, but wasn't looking to spend too much. In this context, maybe I would draw the line at anything over £400, and think carefully if > £300.

Nikons have been mentioned a few times. Are there other brands worth considering? I can then go away and check prices.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Davie

Strathspey Binoculars sell 20X50 bins for less then £40. Weight 0.6kg. I just spotted them. Might buy a pair myself.

Strathspey Binoculars

Strathspey are well regarded in astro circles. Some of their bins have even won the S@N review.

I can personally vouch that the bins are great quality,very well built etc. I cant speak highly enough about John who runs the place.

ive used opticron imagic bins and they are good

Porroprism - Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

Consider the Opticron's mentioned above and the Pentax 10x50 PCF series. The Opticron's are the better choice if you favour something lighter and more compact and will be more comfortable when handheld for a prolonged period. The Pentax are larger and heavier but look as though they will take more abuse. Porroprisms like these, priced at around £100-£150, offer the best performance-per-£

When handholding binoculars, after you have focused them, try moving your hands to the front and grip them around the objectives. Held that way you will find it easier to keep a steady view. Oh, and invest in a good garden lounger :D

HTH,

Steve

I agree Olly. I had a pair of 20x60s that were lighter than my 15x70s but a lot harder to use effectively when hand held.

Does anyone do 10-12x70s? That would seem to be a decent compromise.

Trouble is, 10x70 means a 7mm exit pupil which is right on the useful limit for most young eyes and well beyond it for those of us heading into dotage!

I agree with Steve that the chair you use has a lot to do with what you can see. I do have a silly idea in my head for a Dobsnian Binocular Chair but a lounger on a rotating base would be great.

Olly

Archived