Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 250p DS and EQ6 First Light

Digz

Well last night was the first night I successfully set up and used my new purchase. I did briefly try on Sunday night and managed to confuse the long and lat info on the Synscan thus ensuring I found nothing to observe!!!!

The EQ6 was transported out to my patio, with the scope and weights separate, around 8:00 so it was well adjusted to the cooling air. At about 10:00 I could polar align (I must thank the perseverance of Astrobaby in explaining the procedure.) , however I used a simplified method relying on the data provided by my Synscan, to set the position of Polaris for my observing time.

After polar aligning I then attached the scope and counterweights and balanced. The attaching of the scope was a job and required a slight helping hand from my missus to tighten the locking nuts but once assembled ceased to be an issue.

After this a 1 star alignment was easily undertaken using Arcturus as the reference star. The scope moved to within a few degrees of centre and after centring the target was confirmed as successful.

Following that I proceed to find the following objects, bearing in mind I live outside the city but the city lights are visible on my northern horizon:

Cigar Galaxy (M82) - observed as a feint smudge, but clearly cigar shaped;

Bodes Galaxy (M81) - again observed as a feint smudge;

Saturn - wow, this just blew me away. I have seen Saturn before but with a very poor scope and this blew me away but the view last night was superb. I Started with the 32mm eyepiece (38x mag) to centre then switched to the 9mm eyepiece 133x mag). I could clearly see the rings and 4 moons. I then decided to push the limit by adding a 2x barlow (267x mag) and whilst the view wasnt perfect, I could still make out a lot of detail. The view through the 9mm eyepiece was great allowing a lot of detail to be resolved.

Great Cluster in Hercules (M13) - managed to eventually resolve a decent level of detail with the 9mm eyepiece and 2x barlow.

All in all Im very pleased with my purchase, it was easy to set up, physically, once manoeuvred into place in its separate pieces. Once all the data was entered into the Synscan controler (correctly!!) alignment and navigation was spot on with the scope find the objects and placing them near damn centre.

Hopefully tonight Ill try and get some shots of the set up and maybe even try and shoot Saturn through the scope, if im lucky.

I got 3 weights with my 250px (EQ6 (not pro) when I bought it in 2004.

It's a great scope and will last you a lifetime, even if you start imaging.

It is my imaging scope for DSO's and Lunar/planetary.

Mike.

Nice review Digz,

Just one thing. I don't know what others do but I always attach the scope and weights before I polar align. As you have found already the tube is a beast and you may knock the mount out of alignment.

Dave.

Hi Digz,

Well congratulations on your purchase and on your observing too. That combination is something that I have my eye on right now so I read your report with both pleasure and a tinsey-wincey bit of envy!

As I also live in Bristol, can I send you a PM about some good private observing sites that I have access to that might help improve your light pollution troubles? If so, let me know.

Clear skies

James

Hi guys, sorry for the delayed responses, just got back from some camping in the Lake District.

@Mike - I thought that might be the case, I will have to get myself another weight very soon.

@Dave - I currently polar align with no scope as its easier and avoids the scope pointing is a random / awkward place. I then attach everything and try and check the alignment again. Im probably doing this all wrong but its trial and error for me at the moment, lol.

@ James - I'd appreciate the PM very much so. I look forward to it.

Hey Jobe, its certainly a sweet scope!

Just a query, can you easily balance the scope with the two counterweights or did you need to get an extra weight?

Hi

sorry for the late reply.

as said previous, you have to add another weight or get a longer bar.

i decided to get an extension bar from flo which made balancing a breeze. i didn't want to add more weight to the whole unit.

have a word with steve, he may be able to help you out :)

Hi Jobe,

Ive spoke to FLO and they have discontinued the extension bar, which is a shame. However I have just realised I have some spare weights, hopefully, lying around from an old EQ1 mount which may be heavy enough to give me the extra balance needed yet light enough not to overstrain the mount.

Just wait until the nights become properly dark again and the scope is going to blow you away.

thats what I cant wait for, I think my first target will be orion et al :-)

thats what I cant wait for, I think my first target will be orion et al :-)

that was the first thing i looked at. utterly amazing. certainly something you could look at all night. plus with the right mag you should see e and f in the trap :)

Ooooh, thats got me all excited now, I never really had a decent view of Orion other than through a pair of old bino's a few years back, I cant wait to see it with this scope!

Archived