NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Threaded Metal Eyepiece Cap (eBay Seller fdosdesign)

Earl

1 1/4" Telescope Eyepiece Cap screw in (Filter thread) on eBay (end time 30-Jun-10 15:17:57 BST)

First of all im not affilated to these at all and bought them as i saw them in the Newly Listed Items.

Quick Delivery i paid from these on the 31st and they arrived on the 2nd (Bank holiday Weekend)

These Screw into the Filter Thread

They Feel great really smooth, well made, and "Fit Like a Glove"

Much better than plastic cups i had with my Eyepieces.

Thumbs up from me

Cheap also imo

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought a couple of them.

I see that they are actually machined from Acetal engineering plastic, which I prefer to metal in this case as they won't damage the filter threads in the eyepiece.

John

Just bought a few, I'm fed up of caps slipping off and getting muddled, and these look like a good solution !

Acetal, a.k.a Delrin ... used to use Dunlop guitar picks made of that, very tough material I recall but with a nice grip to it.

Now a super duper solution for the eyecup end would also be good, though I'm getting on OK with milk container tops for my TALs, been treating myself to little bottles of whole milk to get 'Meade Blue' :D

Dave :D

Thanks for the good words Earl! Also thanks for letting me know about this site, I'm sure we will learn a lot from it. The caps are all gone now, bar 3 which we will keep just in case we need them.

Might make some more at some point. But I need to get that sloppy focuser sorted 1st. As well as a few more tweaks I am thinking about.

Wayne....

They sound a great idea. Just be aware that some eyepiece designs use a set of lens elements within the barrel itself which could, in some cases, contact with a screw-in cap of this design. I'm thinking of the Nagler 16mm type 5 and others of a similar design.

Dave

Do you think Natural Acetal would be better? ie White colour.

Not sure if I'll make anymore, at least for a while. Did however do something similar for T-Mount fittings over the weekend, as our modified camera was likely to suffer from a dirty CCD if I left it unprotected.

Another guitar enthusiast too eh! I collect 80's Japanese Westones.

John. I would imagine if the "Nagler" EP's can take a filter then the covers would of fitted. The dimensions were basically filter dimensions.

Wayne...

• 3 weeks later...

mmm, do you find them comfy?

I've alwais found uneasy the threaded cap in front of my old etx90...

IMHO the perfect cap is made of glowing_in_the_dark* gum or silicon.

ciao

dan

*: I'm sorry for my bad English, I don't know if this expression is correct

Really GOOD idea. I hate the vacuum that the cheap plastic dust covers create. It really takes some effort to pull those suckers off the EP.

"I see that they are actually machined from Acetal engineering plastic, which I prefer to metal in this case as they won't damage the filter threads in the eyepiece".

Another BONUS. I wish i had a CC and a fleabay account. I'd buy one for each of my EP's.

Any kind sole here want to buy me 9 of them and send them on to me and i will FULLY repay you all costs (purchase and postal) and a few squid extra for your troubles?

I think my name/reputation here is good on the buy/sell section. I have had no complaints so far.

Ask around.

You would be doing me a really big favour.

...John. I would imagine if the "Nagler" EP's can take a filter then the covers would of fitted. The dimensions were basically filter dimensions.

Wayne...

Thats fine Wayne :rolleyes: I just thought I'd mention it as in some of the Naglers the field lens surface is VERY close to the end of the barrel as that lens is highly convex - the tolerance when a filter is used is tiny - around 1mm.

• 1 month later...

Just bought some of these as I missed them the first time round and they're back on ebay here: 1 1/4" Telescope Eyepiece Cap screw in (Filter thread) on eBay (end time 31-Aug-10 20:50:32 BST)

Also bought one of their t-ring caps to protect a DSLR when it's just got the T-ring on here: T-Mount Cap (M42x0.75mm Thread) Telescope/Cameras etc on eBay (end time 31-Aug-10 20:52:55 BST) Seems like a good idea.

:mad:

Archived