Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Considering 1st bins purchase.

Seriously considering investing in a pair of Helios Quantum 4 25x100 binoculars or something similar for grab and go, and general observing alongside my scope.

I'm set up tripod wise but has anyone out there got any experience or advice regarding these bins?

Cheers,

Jon

my bins compliment my scope very well, not overly fab for grab and go tho as you are restricted to one mag, thats why i got myself the little mak.

it uses the same horizon mount i use with my bins.

I think binoculars are a personal thing, like EPs, what works well for one may be uncomfortable for others. If you can get a good look at them prior to purchase, check for eye relief, exit pupil and collimation before you decide. I realise this is difficult/impossible to do when buying online etc. But if you get chance to use someone elses first, then do so.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, it would be great to have the opportunity to try before buying but, like you said, that's going to be difficult. Anyway, after spending a lot of time yesterday trawling the web for reviews, etc, my gut feeling is to go for the Helios Quantum 4 25 x100. But then, being totally useless at making decisions and just to add to my confusion, I might also give Strathspey a ring before finally splashing the cash. Whatever I end with, I'm sure I'll be happy with them and blown away by the views. Hopefully...

I'd say give Strathspey a ring. They are absolutely brilliant to deal with. I believe that the Helios 25x100 are out of this world.

You wont be disspointed.

P.S.~~~i cant and wont speak for everyone but i for one certainly would not consider 25x100 bins as "Grab n' Go". But then again most bins of a large size are pretty portable none the less. the 25x100 have a built in handle on the top for carrying.

I take your point Paul. I guess I meant those occasions when I could just pop out for a quick observing sess without having to set up a load of gear. Maybe even with a couple of beers on a warm evening - not something I'd attempt when there's a load of heavy fragile gear to pack away in the middle of the night.

Are you happy with your Strathspey 20x90s? I looked at their 25x100s regular type bins ie. not the big silver jobbies with the handle because my budget is up to £300.

The key thing is not to have too large an exit pupil. I had some 11x80s which simply fed too much light outside my eye. 15x70s were brighter. So 25x100 sounds very exciting.

A guest did bring some 25x150s once and deep was the word, despite a slightly optimistic 6mm EP.

Let us know how you get on.

Olly

Archived