Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

LukeSkywatcher

M57 (The Ring Nebula).

When looking at M57, try and bear in mind that it's not really a ring but a shell. It would look pretty much the same from whichever direction you viewed it from. The ring is caused by the greater density of material that you are observing at that position, it is analagous to the limb darkening on the Solar image. Also consider the fact that this "ring" is still expanding outwards at a phenominal rate.

From what i have read about it...............at its rate of expansion..........it has taken something like 20,000 years to get to the size it is as we see it today.

Hey Paul,

I got sight of the Ring Nebula last night (03.06.10) and managed to see the ring, very faintly but it was obvious what it was. An amazing site, Ill be sure to keep going back to it.

Great stuff Digz. Yeah once you find it there is no mistaking it. I haven't had another chance yet because as soon as it gets "dark"...the clouds roll in.

lol, I know the feeling Paul, the same has happened here for the past couple of nights. Bunnygod1 its certainly worth recommending this one to see.

Tonight COULD be the night. Although if i say that then it wont be so i am keeping mum about it. I now also have a very nice little 8x20 finder scope (thanks Rob), so it should make finding it a bit easier.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

best of luck, make sure to let us know if your lucky!

Well done, Paul, and have to agree with everyone that it is a little charmer! I will come back to it real soon and have only spotted it about 2 weeks ago. I was in the area for much the same reason as I wanted to get a Messier in the bag with the new scope and the arrangement of stars in that area should make it easy in theory to find. In actual fact, I only found it by chance in the corner of my eye (and thus by using averted vision by accident!)

Oops, sorry but I just realised I was not looking at a recent topic and you have probably viewed it dozens of times since!!!! :Envy:

The ring nebula is my current fave (though haven't been doing it long) in fact I've looked at it so much I can point the 16 at it in about 30 secs.

Just had a wee little look at it before dinner and sure enough, it's still there! My red dot must be accurate at the moment because I got it with the first aim! Helps to know what it looks like first though. Moon is about to rise and spoil the DSO capability. I'd like to crank up the mags but it is already quite dim with my setup. I assume a UHC filter would help a bit and that's probably going to be a stocking filter.......ahem, filler!!!