SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M57 (The Ring Nebula).

Last night i was looking eastwards. I was looking towards Lyra. I spotted Vega (as you do). I did a bit of a scan of the sky all around the Lyra area and i am pretty sure that i spotted M57 for the first time ever.

It appeared to be similar to a cigarette "smoke ring" in my scope. It was small and faint but a definate "ring" shape.

It was pretty blumming beautiful.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah i have decided to really concentrate on a single DSO per night because my scope is non-GoTo etc.

Being so close(ish) to Vega................M57 really didnt take too long to find. It was small and faint but i spotted it pretty easily because my averted vision is quite good. I think i over looked it 2 times before swinging back to it and finally seeing it.

Yes i spotted it with my 130P scope.

Its cool isn't it.

looks like an out of focus star at first.

Viewed it in many scopes, its very faint at f/10 but a fair bit brighter in an f7, adding a barlow takes the brightness off, it is really small when compared to the Dumbell nebula (M27)

Ah i see it plain as day now. Well not plain as day because it was the sun on my monitor earlier that made me not able to see it. There's a bit more colour in your image then i remember but thats cameras for you. Hopefully i'll get another chance on sunday night to observe it and then go hunting for the Dumbbell.

In my 10 inch you start to see more detail to the ring. Its slightly oval and extended at either end. There is a faint field star just outside the grey smoke ring which enhances the view further. Its special...

Mark

I agree Paul, there's no colour when I see it, just the usual grey tones - stunning though in my view.

I dont mind seeing objects in just tones of grey. I'm just STILL amazed to this day that we can see things that are so far away with just a couple of bits of glass and mirrors,tubing.

Well done in spotting it, I think it was one of my very first DSO's I spotted and have since revisited loads.

Through the 16" with the 4mm Uwan inserted I get x457 and at this mag it nearly fills about 75% of the FOV.

The image at this scale is not that great but it feels as I'm looking through the smoke ring like someone looking through a window.

When looking at M57, try and bear in mind that it's not really a ring but a shell. It would look pretty much the same from whichever direction you viewed it from. The ring is caused by the greater density of material that you are observing at that position, it is analagous to the limb darkening on the Solar image. Also consider the fact that this "ring" is still expanding outwards at a phenominal rate.

Love the Ring Nebula. Easy target in the 16". Orion UHC filter improves thing hugely for me, although you get a bit of a colour caste with it.

Archived