Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

i had a accident

i was using my eq6 and had the 10" me being me i still had it tracking then decided to take off the weights as you can imagin the telescope swung down quick lol the mount still works and tracks well though i have a horrible grating/grinding noise is there any where i can take to get repaired

thanks toby

Similar accident happened to me when I slew the scope at full power into the tripod leg because I pressed the wrong button on the handset and the mount made the most horrendous grinding noise like gears being stripped and metal bending. I asked on the Yahoo User Group and they said don't worry it is just the stepper motors stepping back - that's the noise they make when they cannot turn so sounds like wheel and worm are binding or spur gear is too tight, is it RA or Dec or both?

http://timsastroblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/little-tune-up-for-eq6.html

EQ6 mounts are very tough and regreasing them after 3-5years is advised which is fairly simple and you can get replacement parts, I would ask Bern from ModernAstronomy. You may need a new worm as there is a slight chance it has bent but could just need loosening?

John.

thanks guy i was going to do a rebuild though it was bad enoth having to mod my camera costing 400 quid though this is near a 1000 pounds worth of equipment dont what to fuff it up lol

lol il try and behave myself from now on to be fair this happened about amonth ago its only a small amount for grinding and thats only from time to time normaly when it star and comes to a stop when slewing just dont sound to helthy

I'm loving the simpson's quotes!!!!!!

It's a code i live by.

Thankfully my kit is very simple cuz i often observe under the influence. The less complex it is - the harder it is to break!

Having said that - whilst trying to carry everything back indoors at the weekend i did accidentally walk into the washing line whilst carrying my scope!! My scope is fine but i did bruise my back when i fell over.

I'm loving the simpson's quotes!!!!!!

It's a code i live by.

Thankfully my kit is very simple cuz i often observe under the influence. The less complex it is - the harder it is to break!

Having said that - whilst trying to carry everything back indoors at the weekend i did accidentally walk into the washing line whilst carrying my scope!! My scope is fine but i did bruise my back when i fell over.

NICE!!! I think you should webcam your every move! Just think of the money you could earn sending the vids to T.V. :)

Astro I deffo think you should have a go at stripping the mount? That grindin don't sound healthy at all!!

Last year I was observing in the garden,when the ISS went by I climbed to the top of the kids playhouse which is raised about 6 feet of the ground,with a slide attached.See where I`m going yet?

When I spotted the ISS ,I thought I`d nip back down to the scope to see if I could see it .the quickest way down was down the slide,just thought I`d run down it and get back to the scope quickly.

Unfortunately it was dewy,and my feet went from under me,and I landed on my back at the bottom of the slide,I fell that hard I was badly winded,and couldn`t breath.I had visions of my wife coming out in the morning and finding me dead in the garden.Fortunately I caught my breath again,and was OK apart from a whacking briuse that appeared later.

And no ,I didn,t get the ISS with my scope either.:D

The garden is a dangerous place;)

lol bet that hurt ok so i took the plunge and did the rebuilt must say it was easy and stright forward with astro babys guide(thanks) i dont know what i was worrying about lol

thanks for all your help guys

toby

Archived