Thousand Oaks RG Solar Film, Baader Solar Film, Black Polymer Sheet - which is best ?

OK, So I've used the baader film on my ST80 before but I was going to make a new solar filter to fit my Nexstar 6SE and noticed there's some other options available.

I understand that the "Thousand Oaks RG Solar Film" and the "Black Polymer Sheet" will show the sun in a more yellowish tint as oppose to the white-ish view through the baader film ?

So can anyone comment on actual experiences / comparisons / preferences between these ?

Which of them is better for contrast for example - i.e. highlighting sun-spots etc. ?

In my experience the "neutral" Baader solar film is best. If you don't like the colour you can always filter it; you can't undo the effect of the built in deep yellow / orange filter in the Thousand Oaks products so easily.

Also the Baader solar film is optically pretty flat, having no effect on the sharpness of the image (unless it is stretched instead of floppy in the mount) and not very much effect on the contrast. I'm not sure the TO film is as uniform, and I'd be very wary about a "thick film" like the "black polymer sheet" on optical grounds (though I'm sure it would make fine eclipse glasses!)

I was curious about the Thousand Oaks black solar film and bought some last year so that I could compare it directly with the Baader film. The black film was very disappointing with poor contrast and lack of detail compared to the Baader. I didn't even bother to keep the Thousand Oaks black film but just binned it.

Cheers

Archived