Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn Nebula at 953x

SAB

On Saturday May 22 I had one of the most thrilling experiences of my observing "career". At about 5:00am I turned my 12" dob to the Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009). At 381x, I could easily see the eye shaped "ring" and with averted vision, the ansae. Increasing mag to 534x, I could catch hints of the central star. Although the central star is bright at Mag V 11.6, it is difficult due to the low contrast caused by the surrounding nebula.

Now, in a minute of near perfect seeing, I got my 3.5mm Vixen LVW and 2.5x Powermate for a magnification of 953x and the central star could be held easily, it appeared as a perfect pinpoint, quite stunning really, and the outer bright eye-shaped annulus of the nebula appeared distorted and uneven like it does in astrophotos. The western end appeared thicker than the east. I could see a faint outer halo stretching from the north and south sides of the main portion of the nebula. The main body of the nebula somehow appeared to have uneven surface brightness, it seemed to have a number of overlapping shells, that's the effect I got. The ansae, well they were thick using averted vision, and the two nobs at the ends were easier seen than at any lower magnification.

I was going to make a sketch, but this lasted barely a minute, before I knew it all was gone when the seeing kicked up.

Wow x953 is only possible on these extremely good periods of ultimate seeing, in the UK these are as rare as hens teeth so well done SAB it must have been a magical moment.

I have seen the Saturn Nebula at x457 and clearly saw the eye shape annulus you talk about but have never seen any details or the central star.

Those brief moments of excellent seeing make you forget all the patchy cloud and poor atmospherics we norrmally have to deal with. Sounds great. I was out on Saturday night and took my 8" skywatcher upto x660 on Saturn. The image remained nice and sharp for quite a while.

Savour that moment! It's all too rare but really gives a soul lifting feeling which lasts for quite a while doesn't it?

I had an amazing time a few weeks ago due to a freakishly still clear night so I know what you mean.

Here's hoping for more of them!

Totally agree! "Soul lifting" ias a great way to describe it, knowing for sure you own an optical masterpiece capable of 1000x in perfect seeing, and seeing something which you've been waiting for for years. I went out the night after (Sunday morning) again, and was greeted by very good seeing. I was observing PNe's at 762x, and seeing was so good, that this magnififcation actually *increased* the amount of detail visible. There seems to be a general consesus among some that beyond 300-350x, you aren't gaining anything even in good seeing. That is a load of codgewollop.

A double whammy for the ages that's for sure!

Wow x953 is only possible on these extremely good periods of ultimate seeing, in the UK these are as rare as hens teeth so well done SAB it must have been a magical moment.

I have seen the Saturn Nebula at x457 and clearly saw the eye shape annulus you talk about but have never seen any details or the central star.

This moment of seeing had to be about as perfect as it gets. For comparison, the next morning I was observing planetaries at 762x, with faint field stars showing surprisngly tight focus. I again attempted the Saturn Nebula, at 953x, but the view was not nearly as good. No central star, and the neb itself appeared a little less well defined.

Archived