NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation Eye Piece kit question....

....yes another one (sorry folks)

The scope I am getting is the skywatcher 250p ds which takes 2" eyepieces. Presumably the Revelation Photo-Visual Eye piece set will match with this?

I only ask as the filters that come with the kit are referenced at 1.25" and this seems odd to me if the eye pieces need to be 2".

Can someone put me out of misery?

TIA

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes - it's a 1.25" set - and it's great value for money compared with the other popular ones in that bracket - you can get a 2" to 1.25" adaptor so you can use them in your scope - perhaps the scope includes one? If not try the Astro Boot Sale" where you may find one really cheap.

Hope that helps :D

Im not sure, Ive emailed FLO to ask. Kinda glad I spotted this before making my purchase. Ill keep you posted. BTW thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated.

Awesome, thanks for the link. Looks like a good site to get spares etc - have you used them much?

Ill be sure to have a good trawl through the site. Its put my mind at ease as well, knowing an adapter isnt gonna break the bank, especially after what Im gonna be spending soon!!!

Stupid question:

If a scope is fitted with a 2" focuser and you decide to observe with 1.25" EP's (using an adapter).............................is there any loss of quality in your image?

I see the 32mm EP in the Revelation set has a built in camera T ring for imaging. I'm now wondering if the Celestron 32mm EP has similar.

Most likely not. I've never removed any part of it to see.

Not to worry. I cant imagine ever attaching my 32mm EP and 450D to my 90EQ scope. I dont think the tripod i have could take the weight. Itwould end up on the ground in a smouldering mass of metal and plastic,LOL.

Im resigned to using my 90EQ purely as a solar observing scope (with the proper solar filter attached obviously) and the counterweights removed etc so that the damn thing is a simple Alt-AZ mount.

Awesome, thanks for the link. Looks like a good site to get spares etc - have you used them much?

Ill be sure to have a good trawl through the site. Its put my mind at ease as well, knowing an adapter isnt gonna break the bank, especially after what Im gonna be spending soon!!!

A lot of people here have used this site over the last couple of weeks and are getting real bargains and top quality service from the company (for a change).

I'd say it is very safe and reliable to use.

I had a look at it myself but couldnt see anything i wanted/needed.

Then again i am such a newbie that i really aint sure what i want or need.

As they say - the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. :D

I've not used astroboot yet but everybody else is ranting good things about it. Trouble is - I recently upgraded my kit from 1.25" to 2" and have practically everything I need now. I also have the Celestron e/p kit whaich I don't particularly like - 2 e/p's unuseable and no camera adptor - but the filters are ok and the 30mm is good. So poor vfm in my opinion. The Revelation set comes highly recommended by many folk and won a recent SAN best buy.

Glad to have helped :)

Digz - if your buying that scope new then I would be amazed if it doesnt come with a 2" to 1.25" adapter.

If not they are cheap enough to acquire.

Telescope eyepieces come in 2" and 1.25" fitting. Generally higher power eyepieces (and lower cost ones) come with a 1.25" fitting which is common to many telescopes. For wide angle views its generally preferable to have 2" eyepieces (assuming budget allows) bit obviously a 2" eyepiece needs a focuser that can accept a 2" fitting.

Most mid range and up scopes these days have a 2" focuser with a 1.25" adapter supplied. Its quite normal and nothing to worry about. If your geting the scope from Steve at FLO ask him. It may be as Skywatcher are supplying the scope with a 2" eyepiece they arent bothering to include an adapter anymore. YOu will need one sooner or later but as I say they are generally not expensive.

I'm still pondering over selling it - the filters have just gone in a filter wheel I picked up for a bargain and I'm keeping the 30mm - so it's gonna be incomplete anyway.

I did the upgrade mostly through the For Sale section - reckon I've saved around £400 doing that so I don't like to think what I've spent. Also got one or two bits brand new to fill gaps. Lets see - two WO Swans, 3 TV Rads, 2 Hyperions + FTR's, WO 8:1 focuser, WO CF Diag, 350D, Hotech +SCA, WO Meg 72, 2 Orion RACI's, an Adler and GSO WA ep, and a dew kit. All mostly 2".

I'm still pondering over selling it - the filters have just gone in a filter wheel I picked up for a bargain and I'm keeping the 30mm - so it's gonna be incomplete anyway.

I did the upgrade mostly through the For Sale section - reckon I've saved around £400 doing that so I don't like to think what I've spent. Also got one or two bits brand new to fill gaps. Lets see - two WO Swans, 3 TV Rads, 2 Hyperions + FTR's, WO 8:1 focuser, WO CF Diag, 350D, Hotech +SCA, WO Meg 72, 2 Orion RACI's, an Adler and GSO WA ep, and a dew kit. All mostly 2".

I know how you feel. I seriously do not want to sell my Celestron 32mm EP and i am looking into constructing a filter wheel for my Celestron filters.

I'm just unsure if the filters i have will work on a wheel because they need to screw into the EP.................but on a wheel they will only sit below the EP (if you know what i mean) ..............there may be a gap between the filter and the EP.

Hi,

I got a Revelation set from FLO on their recommendation when I purchased my scope, great value for money! I'm sure that they also come in a 2" set as well as 1.25" (though I may be wrong).

One thing is for sure, if your buying a complete set up from FLO they will keep you right, I'm sure they wouldn't sell you eyepieces that are not suitable for the scope you are purchasing. I'd give them a call to check if I were you if you are worried.

Clear skies

Mark

Hi,

I got a Revelation set from FLO on their recommendation when I purchased my scope, great value for money! I'm sure that they also come in a 2" set as well as 1.25" (though I may be wrong).

One thing is for sure, if your buying a complete set up from FLO they will keep you right, I'm sure they wouldn't sell you eyepieces that are not suitable for the scope you are purchasing. I'd give them a call to check if I were you if you are worried.

Clear skies

Mark

In my experience FLO will simply not see you wrong. The will not sell you Rubbish that you simply do not need/want.

Hi Guys, sorry for the late reply, tinternet flaked out again!!!!

Astrobaby, many thanks for the reassuring words, much appreciated.

Specman and Paul, thanks for the comments. I have been in contact with Martin at FLO who has reassured me that if the scope doesn't come with an adapter he will get one for me. I must admit I am very impressed with the service from FLO (although that's what I expected given the reviews here.) and Martin has been ace at sorting my queries (and probable fed up of me to boot lol.)

Thanks again guys :-)

If you are buying the 250P DS new, it will 100% definitely have a 2" to 1.25" adapter already included for you. You get quite a nice 2" 28mm eyepiece included which is better than the usual 10mm and 25mm eyepieces that are usually bundled with Skywatcher scopes. The Revelation kit will give you a nice spread of 1.25" GSO Plossl eyepieces and filters for little outlay.

Yep there's a gap between the ep and filter wheel that I've got - but it all seems to be in line. I won't know the significance of that till I try it out. This w/e hopefully :D

Have you tried your filterwheel with the 300P? I only ask as i bought the AE filterwheel last year in the hope of using it with my 200P but my hopes were dashed. I forgot about the extra inward focus travel needed and couldn't get anywhere near focus with the wheel in place. :)

Rob has the 200P DS which is also supplied with the same 28mm 2" eyepiece and also came with both 1.25" and 2" adapters. Sadly these use Skywatcher's silly proprietary adapter system where by you can't use third party adapters or simply drop the 2" eyepiece straight into the focuser. But it's a minor issue and nothing to worry about. I'll see if i can find another thread about it.

Archived