Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webcam imaging diagonal or not???

sn00p

Just a quickie.... using my spc900nc in my skymax127 i have been inserting it into the diagonal should i remove thhe diagonal and insert direct or carry on using the diagonal???

Many Thanks

use it without the diagonal as theres no need to use one and you can lose alittle of the light, but you can use a barlow instead of the diagnoal to increase the size of the object but the filed of view is reduced, so i use a flip mirror to help get the object onto the image chip when barlowing at high levels i.e. above a 2x barlow

Provided you can get focus without the diagonal I would go without it...

And if you can't get focus, use an extension tube instead. A diagonal may not do significant harm to the image quality - if it's a good one - but it certainly won't do any good, and its presence messes up the orientation of the image.

The only possible excuse for using a diagonal when imaging is if you're using a fork mounted SCT near the zenith and the diagonal allows you to avoid having the camera foul the mount.

i bought a true tech one from here in the for sale section, not sure if they make them anymore but they do come up for sale every now and again, these are the cheepest then you can get a meade version which is very nice and is fully adjustable for about £80 ish second hand around £120 i think new, they make two versions a 1.25" and a 2" one

Archived