Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does anyone have Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit?

I am looking to get this when I purchase my scope at the end of the month and was just wondering if anyone here had the set and could give me the low down?

I am particularly interested in the T mount and whether the kit has everything I need to connect my D200 to the scope for prime focus AP?

TIA

:)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im planning to get the skywatcher 250P DS on and EQ6 PRO. It wont be until the end of the month when funds have cleared. As soon as I have it with the eyepieces Ill be sure to write a mini review :-)

You will need a Nikon fit T Ring

Adaptors - T Rings

I don't know and can't tell if the focuser is threaded for fitting T adapters directly, but you may need a T ring to 2" fit tube... something like

Adaptors - 2" T mount camera adapter

or

Adaptors - Hotech 2" SCA T-Adapter

As this is a reflector and you're using a large sensor camera (I can't recall if the D200 is a crop sensor or full frame, I think it's crop), you'll probably need a coma corrector also, but you could always try it and if you need one get one later on.

Coma Correctors

Good luck with the kit, looks like a good setup.

I used to use my D200 when i first started out... Darks are pretty much essential for it and thes eneed to be a close match to the light frames...

Ampglow tends stabilises after about 5-10 shots depending upon exposure and air temp.

I used to set the camera running early to warm it up ... I used to be able to run the camera all night using 3 batteries charging them as they came out of the camera... the "new" battery would run out before the one placed on charge was fully charged hence the need for 3 batts....

Its also a fairly heavy camera so make sure you dont get focusser creep...

Still my fav cam out of all my DSLR's for general photography...

Peter..

When I first started in this hobby, this is the eyepiece set I used to have. It's a great beginners kit and will see you well but then as I moved up to a faster scope I found the eyepieces were not that great so moved onto the Baader Hyperions.

When I first started in this hobby, this is the eyepiece set I used to have. It's a great beginners kit and will see you well but then as I moved up to a faster scope I found the eyepieces were not that great so moved onto the Baader Hyperions.

I'd LOVE to understand the relationship between scope and EP's. My 1st scope was a Celestron 90EQ. I bought a Celestron EP kit to enhance my observing (from the standard Kelner EP's that i got with the scope). The new Plossls worked great with the scope. Big improvement. The scope was/is f11.

Now i have a new scope (a SW Heritage 130P), i am still using the same EPs even though the new scope is an f5.

The EPs work fine with the new scope.........as far as i can tell. Images are clear and crisp.

How do you tell/know which EPs are best suited for which scope?

Well Paul I found the cheaper ones work really well in slow scopes, I had a Tal100r refractor at F10 and they were really good. I then swapped to a F4.5 Lightbridge dob and I could see so many comet tailed stars around the outer edge and even towards the centre while using the cheaper plossls.

So I swapped and bought Baader Hyperions. Once again perfect at F10 and far superior at F4.5. I would say 50% of the comet tails have dissappeared.

I have now swapped again to WO Uwan's and I would say only the outer 5% had comet tailed stars and that only appears in the 28mm Uwan. In the rest of them the stars are perfect.

I'm hoping to get a coma corrector that actually doesn't need more in focus one day to get the FOV perfect.

So it does pay to have well corrected eyepieces if you have a fast scope.

I guess by experience. When I started I bought a few Agena Astro SWAs (WO SWANS clones).

These are very nice but the last 15% of the FOV had a loss of sharpness and showed some imperfections:

1) When I used a star at the very edge to focus, the center would seam a bit out of focus. If instead I focused on the center I would get the same problem on the outer edge.

2) The stars on the edge weren't perfect pinpoints, even when the focus was on them. It was almost a point, but slightly extended. It was close, and the EP is certainly good enough and pretty cheap but still it had this minor problem.

My scope is f/5.9. I still have 2 of those (20 and 15mm) and they are fine but not perfect. The Nagler and ethos show pinpoints from edge to edge and if I focus using a star at the edge, the ones on the center will be on perfect focus too. This minor difference, along with the extra FoV is expensive and I believe it's only justifiable once you are head over feet into astronomy.

Hi Peter, thats exactly what Im after, someone who has the same camera as me and has tried AP with it. Thanks for the reply :-)

(PS I absolutely love my D200)

Its interesting the debate thats developed with regards to EP, i wonder if the light gathering capabilities of faster scopes is what brings up the deficiencies in EP's?

Well Paul I found the cheaper ones work really well in slow scopes, I had a Tal100r refractor at F10 and they were really good. I then swapped to a F4.5 Lightbridge dob and I could see so many comet tailed stars around the outer edge and even towards the centre while using the cheaper plossls.

So I swapped and bought Baader Hyperions. Once again perfect at F10 and far superior at F4.5. I would say 50% of the comet tails have dissappeared.

I have now swapped again to WO Uwan's and I would say only the outer 5% had comet tailed stars and that only appears in the 28mm Uwan. In the rest of them the stars are perfect.

I'm hoping to get a coma corrector that actually doesn't need more in focus one day to get the FOV perfect.

So it does pay to have well corrected eyepieces if you have a fast scope.

Thanks Doc.

I really dont see any comet tailed stars in my Celestron Plossl's.......even with my f5 scope.

I usually dont look anywhere else in my FOV except dead centre. Thats where the action is. I really am not aware of what is happening around the edges of my FOV.

This could be due to inexperience,bad eyesight or a mixture of both...............OR perhaps my Plossl's just work for me.

I think most likely it is a mixture of inexperience and perhaps not perfect 20/20 vision.

Thats why i am now on the lookout for a couple of highend EP's, so that i can try them, and if i see any improvement i am SOLD.

Well Paul I think it's a little bit of everything. I'm glad your plossls work so well. Coma lies in the primary mirror not in the eyepieces so I think you must have a very good primary so thats why your cheaper plossls work so well.

Well Paul I think it's a little bit of everything. I'm glad your plossls work so well. Coma lies in the primary mirror not in the eyepieces so I think you must have a very good primary so thats why your cheaper plossls work so well.

That's good to hear Doc. Can i take it from your comment that i have my scope well collimated?. Its the same parabolic mirror as is in all of the SW range of scopes.

The most important thing is that you are pleased with the views and by the sound of it you are. Good views can be hampered by so many factors, collimation being one of them but if you are happy thats the main outcome.

The most important thing is that you are pleased with the views and by the sound of it you are. Good views can be hampered by so many factors, collimation being one of them but if you are happy thats the main outcome.

That's it Doc.................

As far as my untrained eyes can tell................my views with the Celestrons are perfect. My opinion will only change if and when i upgrade. I dont wanna spend too much on an upgrade because it is purely experimental. I am thinking that i will go for a Meade Series 5000.

That's it Doc.................

As far as my untrained eyes can tell................my views with the Celestrons are perfect. My opinion will only change if and when i upgrade. I dont wanna spend too much on an upgrade because it is purely experimental. I am thinking that i will go for a Meade Series 5000.

Decent plossls show a good image quality. The original plossls that came on my scope are very good and show pinpoints from edge to edge. I think the problem only appears once you start with EPs with wide AFOVs (above 60º). Then the differences will show.

The difference in the observing experience is a 10mm Ethos (on my scope) show's as much sky as a 18mm plossl with it's regular 55º AFOV, but the objects appear much bigger and as you can't take the hole FOV at once, it almost feels you don't have a scope between yourself and the sky.

Decent plossls show a good image quality. The original plossls that came on my scope are very good and show pinpoints from edge to edge. I think the problem only appears once you start with EPs with wide AFOVs (above 60º). Then the differences will show.

The difference in the observing experience is a 10mm Ethos (on my scope) show's as much sky as a 18mm plossl with it's regular 55º AFOV, but the objects appear much bigger and as you can't take the hole FOV at once, it almost feels you don't have a scope between yourself and the sky.

With my Celestron 32mm Plossl...............i feel as if i have nothing between my eye and what i am looking at. I am totally immersed in what i am observing. I LOVE that feeling.

It is just me and the cosmos.

Paul try to get to a star party or astro society and use some of their premium eyepieces and see what you think.

I would but i have been a member of clubs berfore (archery) and i really dont like the "office politics" of a club environment. There is too much bitchiness for my liking. Thats why i am a stand-alone archer (i shoot at a target in my own back garden) and the reason why i never became a attending member of any astro society.

I WAS a member of Astronomy Ireland (just to get the monthly mag) but online where all us Irish astronomers met and talked there was too much rivalry between different clubs.

I dont mean to paint AI in a bad light...........if anything i sided with them against other societies. They are a great bunch of people but the rivalry between the different societies here in Ireland was too much to handle. Its akin to tribal warfare. It took the fun out of the hobby.

I am at my happiest alone in my garden doing the things i love.

I'd love to attend a SGL star party. Maybe 2011 will be the year that i do that. Everyone here since i joined has been brilliant and welcoming. It would be fantastic to meet you all and put faces to names...................and do a bit of observing too.

Oh and MAYBE A BEER OR 10.

LOL

Paul, no need to apologise. I have the answer I was looking for and I am enjoying the ensuing debate and information from your questions.

I am really excited about getting my kit now and getting first light. As for SGL parties these sound like a lot of fun, Ill be sure to look out for the next one.

Archived