Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arcturus

April 30, 2010

Arcturus, which is the third-brightest star in the night sky, is high in the east at nightfall and high in the west at first light tomorrow. The light from Arcturus that reaches your eye tonight has been traveling through space since 1973.

AMAZING !

Is there a device on sale now like an eyepiece, but is actually a diffraction grating that shows a stars spectrum directly to the eye.

I suppose also, it can be EP projected to a camera sensor to record the specta. I can't give a link unfortunately, as I just remember reading it, the memory triggered by this post.:D

Ron.

April 30, 2010

Arcturus, which is the third-brightest star in the night sky, is high in the east at nightfall and high in the west at first light tomorrow. The light from Arcturus that reaches your eye tonight has been traveling through space since 1973.

AMAZING !

It is amazing. The reality of time travel with your eyes! I always like to think of it the other way around - what a planet orbiting somewhere else would see of our solar system and Earth.

Nadeem,

They, and the similar Rainbow Optics gratings only come in the 1.25" filter size...

A larger size wouldn't make any difference. They will provide a nice bright stellar spectrum, the length ( and brightness) varies with the distance between the grating and the CCD chip.

There's a neat spreadsheet ( TransSpec V2) which allows you to calculate the size of the spectrum, resolution etc on the Y! group files. Copy attached.

Ken

TransSpecV2.0.zip

Archived