Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 4490 and NGC 4485

Phil Fargaze

Once again another observation made possible by my location at the Spring Star Party Kelling Heath. This is a pair of interacting galaxies also know as the Cocoon Galaxy. According to my source of information, imagers my be able to detect a stream of material connecting the two galaxies. Visually I could easily detect the distortion of shape but I could not actually see any connection.

Orion xt10 intelliscope 254mm f4.7, date 18.4.10, time 1:00 BST, F.O.V 1.4 degrees

seeing IV transparency good

post-16474-133877444974_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like it. I found this observation particularly special, and it really fired my imagination to know that two massive objects are in the proccess of colliding and interacting, however the view from my vantage point was of serenity and silence. The sketch will always remind me of that moment of silence. Sorry to go all poetic on you but I just thought I would share my feelings.

Hi Phil,

It makes a pleasant change to see somebody using a mk1 eye ball, and drawing what you see. I've heard of this galaxy pair before, but never seen it or imaged it.

When my new OD250S arrives, and if it doesn't bring with it a load of cloud. I'll give this galaxy pair a look. And with a little luck, draw it.

What eyepiece were you using, and what was the magnification please?

Super observation and sketch Phil! Interacting galaxies are really rather special visually I find. I've bagged a couple of galaxy pairings so far this spring. Not got round to looking for this one yet. Well done :D

Archived