NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

luminance

Hi Luminance is unfiltered light . need a high signal to noise Ratio, rgb filters usually are binned 2x2 for sensitivity, i never use the lum filter mainly because of the LP where i live , so i use an Ha filter instead of the LUM , . this would be for capturing DSOs, for galaxies i would use the CLS filter for the lum part . hope that helps

Rog

When using standard LRGB filters with a CCD camera, the image is actually taken in black and white through the filter. The colors are assigned by the software later. A "luminance" image is just the black and white image, or greyscale if you like. So brightness is fairly correct.

The reason for adding a plain B+W layer to the image is to provide fine detail. The eye is much more sensitive to fine detail in B+W images than colour, so the fine detail of an LRGB is provided by the luminence layer. When combining layers it is quite common to blur the colour layers to reduce noise and sharpen the luminence. I tend to use a CLS filter but as Rog says you can also use Ha very effectively on emission nebulae. You don't actually need to filter the luminence layer at all.

Archived