Celestron Astromaster 130eq telescope

Hi all

need help with my Astromaster 130eq telescope.

basically all we can view is the moon and i really want to view more stuff so i was wondering what am i doing wrong as i cannot seem to get any stars in my view and that goes for planets and deep sky objects.

what am i doing wrong? do i need one of them barlow lenses? is there anything on the net which can help a beginner like me as i really want to get into this.

all help will be really appreciated.

cheers in advance

i tried that mate but cannot no more as my dad seemed to have left the light on and drained the battery, i know all the stuff inside the telescope is all alligned properly cause my eye is in the centre when there is no lens in.

the finderscope is the star pointer finderscope? how do i know when that is properly alligned with the main main scope? also is there any step by step guides on these forums or on the net to help me align it properly as i dont really understand the instructions in the manual.

I have the Astromaster 90 and i have to admit i find the star pointer next to useless. So much so that i just sight along the length of the tube. This works okay for bright objects like Saturn. I think the Star pointer takes a single CR2032 battery if you want to get it working again.

Maybe try sighting on a daytime object first, get used to using the star pointer. It does have some adjusters on it so you can align it with the main telescope. Believe me, when you get Saturn in the eyepiece you'll know it! ;)

I brought my dad that same scope for christmas and the finder is rubbish (i put a post up this morning concerning it!) ive only just started out too and the first thing i got was a chart, the round ones, all you do is set the date and time by moving the wheel and you can see what you should be able to see thats a must IMO to get you looking at more stuff.

Good luck hope its clear for you.

Paul ;)

ok cheers mate, so dont use the star pointer just aim along the length of the main telescope?

also you got any tips on how to use the Dec. setting circle and the R.A. setting circle?

all i know is i think you use them for the coordinates to find planets etc etc is that true?

where can i purchase one of them round charts Paul?

Hey,

They called planispheres (mines made by philips who do other books too) i got mine with my telescope but i think you can get them from book shops or look online.

heres one on amazon for about a fiver.

Philip's Planisphere: Northern 51.5 Degrees - British Isles, Northern Europe Northern USA and Canada Philip's Astronomy: Amazon.co.uk: Books

also at the bottom there is a deal for three books - the planisphere a stargazing one and one called turn left at orion which i also have thats good and is often talked about here so if you look through you can read other peoples comments about it.

Paul ;)

ok cheers mate, so dont use the star pointer just aim along the length of the main telescope?

also you got any tips on how to use the Dec. setting circle and the R.A. setting circle?

all i know is i think you use them for the coordinates to find planets etc etc is that true?

where can i purchase one of them round charts Paul?

Try to align the star pointer in daytime. Aim the telescope at an aerial or tall building in the distance then adjust the pointer to align with the target. The setting circles on the EQ2 are not very accurate so I would be inclined to not use them.

Peter

If I were you MrS, I would forget about the Setting Circles for now.

Almost every new observer and his first telescope experience difficulties. An equatorial mount can be very difficult to get to grips with. Teach yourself how to align your finder scope with the main OTA, and how to polar align your mount. It does not have to be spot on accurate to begin with, merely close enough will do, so that when you do find an object to study, you only need to move the scope in one direction to follow it. I have no Idea if the mount is driven or not. Does it have drives?.

Stick with low power magnification until you have mastered object acquisition, then you can ramp up the power as you see fit.

Prepare yourself to learn the sky. The book Turn Left at Orion will help you do this. Getting a Celestial Planisphere was a good suggestion. Pic. Below.

Try not to get yourself worked up. Patience is a prime requirement in this game. If you don't have any, you will not enjoy it.;)

Good Luck:icon_salut:.

Ron.

post-13213-133877444115_thumb.jpg

Make sure that your scope is set at the right angle, 52-53 degrees. Google your location to get accurate co-ordinates.

This is vital so that you can track the sky effectively. Once this has been done then it shouldnt be touched after.

Archived