Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

advice on budget telescope

Hi,

i am really tight on budget (just a student) and i need a small telescope that i can carry around easily and see the moon's craters and Jupiter's cloud bands (even dimly) and Saturn's rings. (i am totally new at this)

my budget is only US$ 150 (with shipping ;) and i live in Saudi Arabia) i know this is crazy. but i have found one telescope fitting the budget.

Zhumell Zenith 60x600 Telescope - Telescopes at Binoculars

is it good enough for the things i mentioned above?

is there any other option that you prefer?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. ;)

The 'scope you've linked to looks very cheap and plasticy, more a toy than a real instrument.

With amateur telescopes, I'm afraid, it really is a case of getting what you pay for.

Not sure what is, or isn't, available in Saudi Arabia or what the rules are on importing things.

But if money is tight you may be better getting some good quality binoculars, rather than an inferior 'scope.

HTH

thanks for the advice.

yes it looks like a toy, i can live with that.

my only concern is that, weather it would give me my objectives (which aren't much, i guess)

Saudi Arabia is not very good for astronomy products. i have read in Saudi forums that even the big cities lack a proper astronomy store.

and i don't think they will take any duty for the import. i have bought some stuff over ebay and never had to pay any duty.

and i have a 16x50 binocular using which i can see Jupiter's moons. so i guess i just need a little more magnification ;)

thanks.

I have to agree with the others tho.

I had such type of telescope when I was a young teenager and it was just simply put: Rubbish! And all it did was discouraging me and put me off astronomy for many years to come.

The Optics are very cheap. The housing is very cheap.

The only thing you going to see through it is the moon. And that's about it really.

Don't stare blind on that so called list price of 150 dollars. It's not true. Just a sales pitch. As that 60x600 scope isn't worth 50 bucks even.

You better save up a little bit more money, hold off and buy that Celestron AstroMaster 114 EQ reflector that is offered on the same site instead. If it's the only store that sells this stuff in your area.

It's only about 80 dollars more in cash. And it will actually let you see things. Other than just the moon.

As the optics and housing are just that much better.

Just my 2 cents

I would recommend holding off on that scope, if you keep an eye out on e bay or elsewhere you could pick up a reflector in your price range.

i never looked into ebay because when i asked a friend of mine, who is into astronomy, advice about a telescope first thing he said was never bye it from ebay :)

just did a quick look on e bay and I think this would be a better choice and still in your price range

Celestron 31035 AstroMaster 76 EQ Reflector Telescope - eBay (item 360213255469 end time Apr-29-10 13:14:11 PDT)

but take a look around and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

they ship only to US, and i am in Saudi Arabia. :( thanks for the advice. i would give a chance on ebay.

I have to agree with the others tho.

I had such type of telescope when I was a young teenager and it was just simply put: Rubbish! And all it did was discouraging me and put me off astronomy for many years to come.

The Optics are very cheap. The housing is very cheap.

The only thing you going to see through it is the moon. And that's about it really.

i actually chose it after seeing so many reviews about it, almost all of them say the optics is good, and that they enjoyed and recommend it to a friend. and some of them mentioned seeing planets with it. but because most of them were probably using a telescope for the first time, they might not have a good idea what good optics are. so i think i better listen to you guys ;)

Don't stare blind on that so called list price of 150 dollars. It's not true. Just a sales pitch. As that 60x600 scope isn't worth 50 bucks even.

You better save up a little bit more money, hold off and buy that Celestron AstroMaster 114 EQ reflector that is offered on the same site instead. If it's the only store that sells this stuff in your area.

It's only about 80 dollars more in cash. And it will actually let you see things. Other than just the moon.

As the optics and housing are just that much better.

Just my 2 cents

thanks, i would consider saving a bit more and aiming at a better one. but 114mm aperture seems a little big for me, and that thing looks like i need a container to carry it and the accessories with it. :(

by the way, thank you guys for the help. i will look for a better one and ask again :(.

thanks, i would consider saving a bit more and aiming at a better one. but 114mm aperture seems a little big for me, and that thing looks like i need a container to carry it and the accessories with it. ;)

by the way, thank you guys for the help. i will look for a better one and ask again :).

That 114mm Celestron isn't that big at all tho. Check out the video just below it on that product page.

It's quite a small reflector telescope. Very portable. If that is your concern. :(

That 114mm Celestron isn't that big at all tho. Check out the video just below it on that product page.

It's quite a small reflector telescope. Very portable. If that is your concern. :)

actually "grab and go" is what i need. these assembly stuffs gives me the creeps. i am not going to go out on a "stargazing mission". i would be getting out to our backyard, on the road, or on to the roof and start looking,thats all. (i don't need much attention, and these parts of the world are not used to seeing people with telescopes)

thats why i prefer a refrector,

can you show me one that is below US$200, with the shipping (to Saudi Arabia or Maldives)

thats all i can afford right now. ;)

actually "grab and go" is what i need. these assembly stuffs gives me the creeps. i am not going to go out on a "stargazing mission". i would be getting out to our backyard, on the road, or on to the roof and start looking,thats all. (i don't need much attention, and these parts of the world are not used to seeing people with telescopes)

thats why i prefer a refrector,

can you show me one that is below US$200, with the shipping (to Saudi Arabia or Maldives)

thats all i can afford right now. ;)

There are a lot of international webstores that ship all over the world.

I don't know what the import restrictions / rules are of your country? And what the amount of import tax is you have to pay?

For example, I live in Norway and I can import astronomy stuff with no problem. But I will have to pay 25% import fees. So I have to calculate that into the total price picture.

So what you first need to do, is figure out what your countries import restrictions and rules are and how high the import fees are.

If you are able to import, than you have a ton more options to go for!

EDIT: And seriously, if that simple EQ mount on that Celestron reflector already gives you the creeps. Are you sure this hobby is really something for you?

As a decent mount like this EQ mount is really necessary if you want to be enjoying astronomy and be able to track the objects you are watching.

Without a decent mount, objects in high magnification just flash out of your view in no time and you will not be able to track them without a decent Alt-Az or EQ mount.

That simple standard camera tripod that is offered with that cheap 50 bucks refractor is absolutely horrible, very stiff and completely unusable at higher magnifactions.

i am pretty sure if i import for myself (one piece at a time that is) i wont need to pay any tax.

i have bought things (like camera and accessories) off ebay. and never had to pay anything. my friend bought 3 cellphones for himself and two of his friends, and he had to pay import tax (because of the quantity. they just don't believe someone might actually get things in quantity for giving away :))

so, will you help me finding one? ;)

and if i had to pay import tax, that is also OK, i just don't have much money in my bank account with my VISA debit card, and i don't have a way to put my money in my account right now, cos i am living abroad. if i had to pay import tax, i have enough money on hand for that ;)

I have been having a look around and it will certainly be quite difficult getting something decent for $150 including shipping.

I would be inclined to checkout Telescope Service in Germany. They will ship almost anywhere and carry a good range of scopes. The best of which appears to be the Skywatcher Mercury 707:

Skywatcher Mercury-707 auf AZ2 / komplettes Einsteigerteleskop - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

It works out at $114 excluding shipping but could well come in budget with shipping.

Now if this scope is as good as the Bresser 70/700 i bought my kids in 2003 you'll have some very nice moments with it. I hijacked the scope myself and have been using it as my Solar scope for 7 years. The optics are surprisingly good, the moon looks great, Saturn was very nice the other night when my son was using it. As a beginner these were the things that i wanted to see, can't see you being disappointed.

EDIT: And seriously, if that simple EQ mount on that Celestron reflector already gives you the creeps. Are you sure this hobby is really something for you?

As a decent mount like this EQ mount is really necessary if you want to be enjoying astronomy and be able to track the objects you are watching.

Without a decent mount, objects in high magnification just flash out of your view in no time and you will not be able to track them without a decent Alt-Az or EQ mount.

That simple standard camera tripod that is offered with that cheap 50 bucks refractor is absolutely horrible, very stiff and completely unusable at higher magnifactions.

but there must be something which does not need a fifteen minute assembly, like building a small boat. and if it is so hard to keep things in the view for some seconds, why do they make it with classic tripods? i mean, it becomes useless, ain't it?

but there must be something which does not need a fifteen minute assembly, like building a small boat. and if it is so hard to keep things in the view for some seconds, why do they make it with classic tripods? i mean, it becomes useless, ain't it?

An EQ mount doesn't really take that long to set up. Especially one that isn't GoTo nor motorized.

I have a CG-5 GoTo mount of Celestron. A very heavy solid EQ mount. And I set it up within 5 minutes. (that's without aligning the GoTo computer ofcourse. That takes a bit more time)

So a non motorized / non-GoTo EQ mount is set up within 5 mins easy.

Especially a lightweight one like that one supplied with the 113mm celestron.

Ofcourse the very very first time it will take you longer. But when you have done it one time. The next time goes fast and easy.

I have been having a look around and it will certainly be quite difficult getting something decent for $150 including shipping.

I would be inclined to checkout Telescope Service in Germany. They will ship almost anywhere and carry a good range of scopes. The best of which appears to be the Skywatcher Mercury 707:

Skywatcher Mercury-707 auf AZ2 / komplettes Einsteigerteleskop - Teleskop-Express: Astro-Shop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

It works out at $114 excluding shipping but could well come in budget with shipping.

Now if this scope is as good as the Bresser 70/700 i bought my kids in 2003 you'll have some very nice moments with it. I hijacked the scope myself and have been using it as my Solar scope for 7 years. The optics are surprisingly good, the moon looks great, Saturn was very nice the other night when my son was using it. As a beginner these were the things that i wanted to see, can't see you being disappointed.

don't get shoked :) but tinyurl.com is blocked in Saudi Arabia (where i am right now) ;) so i am not able to enter your link.

thanks.

when i proceed to checkout, they say 92 euros for shipping, and there is noway i can see if this is for shipping only or total cost with the product, until i pay them.

can you please verify for me?

is it possible they take just 20 euros for shipping a 4kg item?

I would send them an email first and confirm the shipping cost. 20euro sounds about right for shipping. I paid £12 to have a Skymax 80 delivered a little while back. But check with them first.

Regards

^^

thanks, the problem is here we don't HAVE a dealer.

and hey, thats an 80mm telescope eh? can you find a 60mm or 70mm and in my price range. i am now able to pay US$240 using my Visa debit card.

and hey, i think it would be better if i ship to Maldives. so, can you check something good in that price range?

thanks.

240$ = 180€

So I checked this other dealer I use (one of the best) and they charge 56€ to ship to saudi arabi, which leaves a bit over 120€ left for the scope.

You can buy one of this for 112€:

Celestron Telescope AC 70/700 Powerseeker EQ

That's a total of 171.9€(scope+shipping, so 228$ at current exchange) with a safe margin of 12$ for the exchange and international payment taxes on the visa (usually about 2 or 3$).

PS-> euroshop.eu telescope prices are a bit higher then most, but then they have some of the cheapest shipping costs so many times it makes up for what I pay extra on the items and I end up saving money.

Archived