Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

advice on budget telescope

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you want to stick to 60mm or 70mm objective ? Is it because of size ?

As a beginner scope for your budget and with you not wanting an EQ mount I'd be tempted to get a Short Tube 80mm refractor (Such as the SkyWatcher ST80) as it's very compact but will gather more light than the 60mm or 70mm scopes you have been looking at - also with it having a shorter focal length you'll have wider views and therefore more success without an EQ mount - and on the subject of the mount if you really want compact and easy to transport you could buy the scope without the tripod/mount and just buy a decent solid camera tripod (locally in your country) and put it on that. I've done that with my ST80 a few times on holiday. Works well as a daytime spotting scope too ! If you find you like the hobby you can always buy an EQ mount later - you won't be missing much with the bundled mount anyways !

Good luck..........

:D

may be you guys are right :D

the planets will be there, and because my home is just north of the equator i have better chances if anything is visible anywhere :p . i just need a better telescope. i think i will wait for some time and look for it later when i can afford a better one and i am out of school :)

thanks all for the help. you guys gave me a clear idea of it. i think i will be around here even without a telescope.

i have a 16x50 binoculars for now ;)

thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

couldn't wait :) just bought this one

Skywatcher Telescope AC 60/700 Mercury AZ-2

its very cheap but with shipping it was 112 Euros.

now you guys may shout and swear at me :D or you guys could tell me what to expect with this sh*t :)

i thought having something is better than having nothing, especially because i haven't looked through even a crappy telescope let alone a decent one. so even if this telescope showed me Saturn as a white ball with a stick through it, i would be glad :D

i will think about a better one when i have money.

i gave the shipping address to Maldives cos i will be going for a 3 month vacation starting on 24th June.

Archived