Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn last night!

Paul G. Abel

Greetings all!

I grabbed a look at Saturn with Patrick's 15" reflector when we were recording the Sky at Night on Thursday and it was a fine view indeed! We had a good clear night in Leicester last night too, and I was able to make a reasonable drawing of the planet.

Most interesting how the features are much more muted at the moment. The SEB is a double feature, but this is not easy to detect, and SEB(N) is clearly the darker and more colourful (brownish red) of the two components. A broad STB was present as well. The EZ(S) was darker and more yellower than the EZ(N) which was probably the brightest feature on the disk.

Most interesting, in the north the NEB was a dark broad feature and easily the darkest feature (apart from ShRG) on the disk. Both components easy to see. However, eveything north of NEB(N) was vague and I was unable to distinguish between the NTropZ, NTZ and the NPR. I the moments of good seeing, i had the impression of a lovely pastel blue shading where the dusky NPR would normally be- quite wonderful!

Here's the drawing:

Saturn_25-260410_PAbel001.jpg

I think it's clear that Saturn has undergone a change recently, and I would urge all ofm our visual astronomers to keep an eye on it- who said the weather on Saturn was dull!!!!!

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Nice drawing Paul and very interesting about the banding. I'll have to take a closer look next time out.

I was out Friday evening trying to see the transit of Rhea but failed miserably. Then tried to see Cassini but failed again. The seeing is just so poor at the moment, Saturn is proving very difficult for me.

Thats a great sketch Paul and a very intersiting report as well. I sometimes see a little banding with very subtle colours through my 16" dob, but not a bright as SPM's reflector.

Archived