Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First lunar images - 23 April 2010

Gary

Having played around imaging Jupiter and Saturn I had a go at the Moon this evening for the first time.

I struggled with the processing on this target, I find it difficult to know when to stop so tips, critical comments very welcome.

post-17259-133877442978_thumb.jpg

post-17259-133877442983_thumb.jpg

post-17259-133877442987_thumb.jpg

hey Gary nice shots

processing with regards to wavelets and or sharpening looks ok 2 me,

(altho some people prob prefer softer or sharper image

its ur pic so u decide what looks right for u)

there is a noticeable green tinge effect dont know if this was ur camera settings or maybe if u were using filter

u can either greyscale ur pic or desaturate it which will remove this effect

i did quick greyscale on ur 2nd pic hope u dont mind

regards James

post-16858-13387744308_thumb.jpg

hey Gary nice shots

processing with regards to wavelets and or sharpening looks ok 2 me,

(altho some people prob prefer softer or sharper image

its ur pic so u decide what looks right for u)

there is a noticeable green tinge effect dont know if this was ur camera settings or maybe if u were using filter

u can either greyscale ur pic or desaturate it which will remove this effect

i did quick greyscale on ur 2nd pic hope u dont mind

regards James

Thanks James, no filter was used but I now see what you mean about the green tinge and the grayscale you have done has made a big improvement. Thanks.

Looking very nice Gary - good job...

What was the stack size you used, and what software?

Hi Richie,

For capture I used wxAstroCapture and Registax5 for the processing. The 3 .avi's were approx 1000 frames each at 15fps, the whole lot stacked in Registax5.

Hi Gary, great shots.

For moonshots I tend to uncheck the 'colour' box when I process in registax, this guarantees a b/w image (ignore any program warnings about the original being in colour).

I like sharp moon images and probably tend to 'overdo' the wavelets for many people's taste. I think it gives a more barren 'harsher' feel to the photos. But as James says, they are YOUR pictures, so produce the result YOU like.

Very nice results Gary... processing is all a bit personal really... I just try to avoid overdoing things... I probably don't push the wavelets as hard, then give a tweak of contrast with curves and a high pass sharpen.

Archived