SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rupes Recta (Straight Wall)

Macavity

Rupes Recta (Straight Wall) - Or so my grade 5 Latin O-level might have informed me. :(

But an interesting FIRST sight (for me) last night. Moreover, with (presumably?) short shadows, presenting an almost "unnaturally" FINE line on such a far-away object. Heck, I thought an EYELASH had escaped onto the field lens again! :)

All with the MAK127 and some indifferent seeing and eyepieces - Most notably, while "doing something else". Ah, the LURE of the Moon! Aside: Must get some decent lunar maps. The "mental arithmetic" of inverting (or reversing) mine is still a bit beyond... ;)

Nice one Chris

I saw it and had a bash at imaging it last night. I can recommend New Atlas of the Moon... I've got it and found it really useful for finding my way around.. .it also shows you three different orientations depending on the kit you're using to view.

The Hatfield SCT Lunar Atlas is really good as the photos and maps are oriented correctly for an SCT or Mak.

The straight wall was a particularly good sight last night and I agree it does look a bit unnatural when the illumination is just right.

John

It is worth downloading Virtual Moon Atlas - it has both Windows and Mac versions - I have used both and they are excellent. It is also FREE - that appeals to the Scot in me ;)

I also use both the Hatfield Lunar Atlas and the SCT one as well.

I now have a 12" Flextube and it is fantastic to observe the Lunar surface at x300 magnification - you seem to be drifting over the surface and see much more detail than is given on any maps I have used.

Tom

Heheh. And I have still to get a "proper" observing session (decent seeing etc.) with the MAK150. Though I did take it up to some ludicrous magnifications, through the recent "yellow fug". I sense my idiosyncratic eyeballs may STILL benefit from such (any!) assistance, despite the theoretical limits... :)

Thanks for more map suggestions. I note I tend to remember features that have "puzzled or amazed me" - I sense Lunar observation requires a certain active participation? I now tend to make COPIES of astro maps so I can "scribble on" them. Heck, I am almost tempted to take notes... sketch even? ;):(

Archived