Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Commercial PST mod kit..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So.. I think I have a plan...I have an old 60mm f/11.7 Achromat, which I'll use as a test bed. Its a little longer focal ratio than the A80M, but not by much, so if the Vixen works, I guess this'll be close enough for me to use to sort out the engineering details, before scaling up.

Paul

No harm...

I picked up my A80M for £100 second hand...if that helps sway things

No harm...

I picked up my A80M for £100 second hand...if that helps sway things

I've been trawling the WWW for one.. no luck in the bit of the WWW I've been looking at, except £350ish new - hence my thinking that an Evostar90 at about £130 might be a viable option.

Paul

• 11 months later...

Dear group,

Is there any consensus between the BF15 and the Lunt BF1200? One issue is the well-known "rust" problem which supposedly has been fixed by both Meade and Lunt but reports are still popping up for problems with the Meade blocking filters.

Anthony.

Caution:

The Lunt 1200 etc blocking filters and the Coronado BF10/15 are NOT the same!!

I'm still not convinced that a Lunt BF can be used on a PST mod - I know of only one in the world so far - my measurements indicate a possible problem with bandwidth.

The BF filters fail in many different ways - their life seems to be around 4-5 years.

The large equipment show known as NEAF in the US will be starting shortly. Last year, Meade had some blemished but fully functional PST's on sale for a mere $250 (about 160 GBP) and I have alerted some friends attending the show to be on the look-out for me.

Others here on SGL may also be interested to know since it is a very cheap way in getting a PST unit for modification.

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up an SM60/BF10 for £400 at NEAF, SM90/BF30's were £1400 go figure! :-)

SM60 will form part of a double stack rig soon...watch this space

The Lunt 80mm was good, and the 60mm DS also very good...

Archived