Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A couple more 'fracs

John

The first one is my ED100 on an EQ5 sitting on a Tele-Optic ash tripod. The finder is an Antares 50mm RA which I have just got from Gordon. As you can see this tripod really gets the eyepiece up to a decent height and is very steady (even with the 150mm on board).

image.jpg

Next we have the Helios (Synta) 150mm f8 with the same mount / tripod / finder combination. I need to add some more weight to the focusser end to get a more even balance on the tube - as supplied they are very "top heavy".

image.jpg

Cheers,

John,

North Somerset

Hi Gordon,

I got the tripod used from UK Astro Ad's. I paid £85 plus petrol to go and get it - I think they are around £300 new - Bray Imaging do them. The pictures don't really do it justice - it weighs about 8KG and is really solid - a huge improvment over the standard alu tripod especially (for me as a big bloke) in getting the scope up high so that kneeling in the mud to view the zenit should be a thing of the past - when set up as shown in the picture (not quite a max) the top of the tripod is around 1.6 meters high.

I managed to get the finder to fit the mount by sanding off the rough spots on the inside of the mount ring, at the front. The finder now just about squeezes in - not too much room for movement though so I hope I don't need to adjust it too much to get it lined up with the scope.

Having owned both the ED80 and the ED100 I'm a great fan of them - I'm tempted to get an ED80 again to compliment the 100 but I'm all spent up at the moment !!.

Cheers,

John.

Any reports on those Skywatcher ED120's yet ? - they are f7.5 I think.

I'm still "feeling my way" with the 150mm frac - I may not hang onto it for too long due to it's sheer size and weight but it's great fun when it's set up - the moon looked fantastic tonight - the terrain on the terminator was bright white etched against inky blackness - just how a refractor image should look I think.

John,

North Somerset

Archived