Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus & Mercury + a stranger

TopHouse

Told you I was high up where I live lol. Taken from my house tonight, we had a stunning sunset earlier, i waited for venus & mercury which I got, but who's the stranger up and left of venus?

NOTE:

The red mast bottom left is the winter hill TV mast which is 19 miles away as the crow flies.

post-18181-133877439595_thumb.jpg

LOL, strange thing is, my stellarium is screwed, as others here have reported, when this pic was taken, on Stell, the two were well below horizon. I took stell back in time to bring the two planets to roughly where they were 'at time of photo' and zoomed in but no stars were showing. it's not a plane as i took about ten pics over a period of about ten mins and the stranger is in the same place on all. Oh, and I couldn't see it naked eye, exposures are about 4 seconds.

nice pic

interesting just had check on stellarium

between 7-8pm time ?

and not really any bright star i can see

at that distance

u can use atmosphere button on stellarium

that reveals stars otherwise invisible without atmosphere button(in daylight)

though they seem to disapear if u zoom in too much

hope u work out what object is

James

Well I too couldn't resist checking.. with Starry Night6 this time. :) Though again nothing.. There was one close encounter with a satelite at about 8-ish, but it's less than mag 5 so i kinda doubt it was it.. could it have been a plane flash?

Marius

Well I too couldn't resist checking.. with Starry Night6 this time. :) Though again nothing.. There was one close encounter with a satelite at about 8-ish, but it's less than mag 5 so i kinda doubt it was it.. could it have been a plane flash?

Marius

Nope, see post #5 above.

I was looking through my scope and venus and mercury, showed the missus, came back a half hour later and she was pointing this 'star' out to me in the scope... I checked stellarium, then assumed it must have been a problem with my cheap optics!!! It moved way to slow for a plane... any geostationary sats about?

Archived