Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I saw something more historical than history

maximR

Well, you guessed it, Saturn !

At first I wanted to give up- I couldn't see any planets beside stars and more stars.

When I wanted to keep the telescope, something caught my eye, a star that wasn't twinkling. I know that if a star doesn't twinkle that means it's a planet, thanks to very helpful people from this community.

I tried to locate it using 25mm, just estimating where would it be without the finderscope ( not aligned yet, sadly ).

Then suddenly-

a bright yellow disk caught my eye. I couldn't believe what I saw. The rings. Saturn !

My heart was pounding. I inserted a barlow lens. Yes! It really is !

I'm so excited right now. Can't contain my excitement.

Although it was very small, it's still something so special. Viewing Saturn with my own eyes, is really different from the photos.

The only problem is when I insert the 10mm, it's so hard to get Saturn to be in the center. A little movement means a lot difference. When I focus it, it disappears from my view. I have to use 25mm to locate it again.

I really saw something more historical than history, well, to me. :)

Its that 1 planet alone that fuels the passion for astronomy.

Once you see it through a scope, you are hooked for life.

I had another long session with Saturn last night. I can not wait until the rings open up.

Well done :)

It was Saturn through a 60mm refractor that hooked me on this hobby as well.

Keep observing it though - the moons change positions all the time - see how many you can spot with your scope !.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's a great sight. I had some guests for dinner the other day and I showed it to them, lot's of wows there and "did you put a sticker in front of the scope" kind of questions.

You should really allign the finder, it's quite fast and you can do it by pointing at a distant light post or building during day time (just don't point at the sun). With the finder align you can get it back in the fov with the 10mm without always changing EPs.

Archived