Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Antares crayford for 6" F/8 refractor ?

I'm thinking of replacing the standard focusser on my Konus / Synta 6" refractor and Rother Valley Optics have the Antares dual speed crayford which is stated to be suitable for that scope for around £140. Has anyone tried this upgrade ?. Is it a straight swap using the existing screws ?. I have some heavy eyepieces so any comments on the focusser's ability to cope under strain would be helpful as well.

I don't have the funds for a Moonlight, unfortunately :)

Thanks.

Hi John,

If I remember correctly, every Skywatcher scope from the ED80 up uses the same focuser attachment. You keep the adaptor ring on the scope and fit the new focuser to that. I am assuming the Konus will be the same.

However, the Antares focuser itself may use a different system altogether, and not have the same one-size-fits-all approach. I'm sure if you phone RVO they will be able to advise you, but best to have the relevant measurements to hand.

I have what is in essence probably the same focuser on my 16" Lightbridge. I have used the 20T2 and 28mm UWANs on it without problems - they are both over 1kg in weight! Of course, a dob's focuser is always horizontal, so you may have a different experience in the 'frac.....

HTH

Andrew

Agena Astro has a telescope compatibility table and photo guide for fitting the GSO focuser that should help.

https://www.agenaastro.com/Articles.asp?ID=205

https://www.agenaastro.com/Articles.asp?ID=206

I've been testing the new TS Monorail linear crayford which is about £30.00 more than the Antares but with nearly twice the load capacity and has much less flex. I'll be posting a review later this afternoon.

John

not sure about the Anatres one but I have the Skywatcher one which is a lovely upgrade and with a little 'convincing' due I think to paint on the inside of the adapter collar, it was a straight replacement. I am readlly glad I went for it. I am fairly sure this is the same fitting as the Celestron 150mm so might be a good swap for yours too? I seem to recall that the Skywatcher one is more highly regarded than the Antares/GSO but may be wrong. the one I got is this one:

Dual Speed Crayford Focuser for Sky Watcher Refractors - Ovl171 - Astronomical Accessories - Telescopes which does not seem to be available on FLO anymore for some reason.

I also went for the Skywatcher 1701 focuser. It should be a direct fit with the OTA.

Here is mine on the back end of my 6" f/10 Achro. The fitting is 96mm with 3 equi-spaced 4mm holes which are 8mm in from the face of the focuser.

FLO didn't advertise these so mine was bought from Harrison Telescope.

post-14648-133877439487_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Some interesting alternatives as well :)

shanefarrell / argonaut - is the Skywatcher focusser rotatable ? - that would be helpful when I'm using the scope on an EQ mount.

hi John

yes, indeed. the little knob at the top near where the focuser connects to the OTA acts like a clutch and you turn the whole thing (obviously apart from the bit that actually connects!). To my knowledge and looking at them in detail, I feel sure this is the same one as that supplied with WO scopes, just with different branding and knobs. I must admit though that I don't often feel the need to rotate it unless as occasionally happens, the finders are a little hard to reach at some angles.

There are also 3 equi-spaced grub screws which you can adjust on the rotation mechanism. These fit into a recess inside the focuser.

I needed to strip mine down when it crashed to the floor during the build. So I decided while I was in there I would strip it down completely.It's very well made inside.

Glen.

Archived