NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Filter - Skywatcher Explorer 250

Hi

Can i buy a filter that will allow me to observer the sun in absolute saftey with my scope or is it just to dangerous ?

If i cant get the scope out during the night thought i might try during the day

Thanks

John B

Absolute safety, no, there's no such thing. But there's no reason why observing the Sun can't be as safe as night time observing ... fairly cheap, too, around £20 for a sheet of Baader solar film, a few bits of cardboard and a reel of sticky tape & you're in business.

The A4 sheet will reduce your aperture to around 8 inches but that's fine for solar work.

I watched the Sky at Night from this month on the sun last night and the advice was not to use a reflector due to the heat build up - which can cause it to explode!

i was a little shocked by this, as I'm sure people are using reflectors?

I watched the Sky at Night from this month on the sun last night and the advice was not to use a reflector due to the heat build up - which can cause it to explode!

i was a little shocked by this, as I'm sure people are using reflectors?

They were actually referring to solar projection as was demonstrated on the program with a refractor. This is only safe with a refractor.

With a reflector (dob, newt, SCT etc.) you must only use a filter that fits completely over the end of the scope. Then it's no problem as the suns light is reduced by about 99.9% before it enters the scope.

John

Archived