NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which quantum 4

the winds have changed a little, Apollo 15x70s maybe the order of the day.

these bins are to accompany my scope and to use on those days when i just dont have the time to set up the TAL.

thanks for your input guys :)

Well the 20 X 80 are triplets so no contest,buy the best quality

optics you can afford and not the biggest aperture.

Brian

Hi,

I'm also thinking of buying some bigger bins. Does this mean that aperture isn't king when it comes to binocs? Those 20x80 triplets look nice but wouldn't 20x90 or 20x100 show more even though they aren't triplets?

Sorry if it's stupid question time! :)

Thanks!

John

a lot of higher powered bins show off a little CA, they say the trips combat it, i havnt tested it so i cant say.

im stuck between the apollo 15x70 and the qauntum 4 20x90 and there is little detail to be found on the net.

i hear steve @ FLO is the binocular man, just awaiting some input from him.

John aperture is not king with any astronomical device,quality will always win over quanity,exactly 4 weeks ago i compared a 22 x 60

against a 45 degree 100mm BT (Binocular telescope),the former offered superior views and was able to compete in resolution.

There are many other semi-apo triplets available from Helios ect but to get near true apo peformance at 100mm you would have to look at something by Miyauchi whom are manufacturing again.

Brian

the winds have changed a little, Apollo 15x70s maybe the order of the day.

these bins are to accompany my scope and to use on those days when i just dont have the time to set up the TAL.

thanks for your input guys :)

VERY good choice. These are very good binoculars. The BA8 series of Kunming optical wich they are have great illuminosity, very sharp, and a very good contrast. The 15x70 is very versatile. Still can be handhold for short times, big 4.4° FOV. I just love it. It's about as good as the famous Funjinon except that the Fujinon has a sharper field further out and that's about the only difference.

But for deepsky the BA8 22x85 is quite a bit better(Apollo,TS,Garrett or whatever). Funny how many galaxies you can see with it. This week i was able to catch 'The Eyes' in Markarians chain with it. Could'nt believe it from my backyard.

Bottom line, these Chinese BA8 series a very good yet still quite affordable. Probably one of the best Chinese binoculars ever so far.

My BA8 22x85 is an Apollo branded and comes from FLO. Arrived in perfect shape. My BA8 15x70 comes from Teleskope Service in Germany.

I agree to a degree but disagree to another degree.

As with any optical aid (bins or scopes) apeture IS king but only if the optical quality is better.

Bins with 90mm objectives are better then bins with 80mm objectives because they gather that bit more light.................but that extra light is wasted if the optics on the 90mm bins are inferior to the optics of the 80mm bins.

Thats common sense.

Cost between both 80mm and 90mm is minimal................so thats not a factor.

Weight difference is minimal also so a tripod that works for both is gonna be the same cost.

15X70 are good.

It boils down to how much you have to spend. You can buy 20X80,20X90 bins for not a lot more then 15X70. You do have to factor in tha cost of a tripod with them.......even the 15x70.

i did fancy the 15x85 apollo but i just cant justify the £390 plus £80 for tripod, it would be like buying another OTA.

the thing that is tipping the scales slightly for me is the fact that the 15x70 apollo is threaded for filters and claims of premium quality, im not sure the quant 4 20x90 (high quality) has that "little extra" but its price is lower and it has 20mm on the 15x70 apollo.

light pollution in my area is a bit of a problem

We cannot agree on this one Paul as i achieve much more pleasing

and high quality views with my 4" apo than i did with my 16" LB.

The apo as well also seems to cut through average seeing that would have ruined any views with the LB.

Sure you can see deeper with the LB but in my experience about 95% of DSOs are not worth seeing anyway so ticking of your M sightings is really only about finding them (a 30"er under perfect skies may be different though).

Our Club recently to had a observing night and everyone was out with their mirrored devices it was accepted however that the best views obtained that night were from a supremely well corrected 80mm apo,so you see aperture is NOT king.

Brian

In the 20x90 you will see a bit more. 90 mm although reduced will see a bit deeper.

FOV is smaller. Bino is heavier,can't use handholded.

The 70 mm has very bright views and is also truly 70mm

Depends a bit what you want . If you want to see as deep as possible the 90 mm would be the best choice even with a bit less quality.

Don't know for CA. The 70 mm can still be used for birdwatching because the CA is well controlled. Don't know for the Q-4 90 mm

Nick hand-on-heart i cannot really comment on either of the Binoculars you have short listed as i have not tried them.

Iam no Bino expert either being new to the two eyed world,which i

now prefer to the one eyed.

All i can reiterate is that quality will always prevail over quanity and

of that iam certain.

I dont know about CA in other models of 20X90 bins but i have to say that in the 20X90 Strathspeys that CA is at an absolute minimum. It only marginally shows up as a very thin line when observing the full moon. Other then that i have never noticed it either during daylight or night.

P.S.~~~~i did a test the other day during daylight to test the focus of the Straths..............and my guesstimate is that they are sharp from the centre to about 75-80% of the objectives. They really do not lose focus until pretty near the edge of the objectives.

i did fancy the 15x85 apollo but i just cant justify the £390 plus £80 for tripod, it would be like buying another OTA.

That's the thing about buying quality bins and tripod for astronomy. You WILL pay as much for bins and tripod as you would a scope.

The deciding factor for you is: Do you want to mainly do binocular observing or telescopic observing?

They really are two very seperate things but the cost is difrference isnot very much.

If you want to do BOTH then a pair of 15X70 bins is a good medium.

Archived