Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bay of Rainbows

Leedsgreen

Finally, a (relatively) clear night on Friday and chance to do some imaging! Attached is best effort at one of my favourite locations on the moon (to view that is)! Have just discovered Avistack, which is giving me consistently better results than Registax (although I do still use the latter for wavelet manipulation).

Skymax 127 with SPC900NC.

Thanks for looking,

Nick

post-16684-133877436585_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for kind comments everyone.

With regard to Avistack, I only discovered it last week but am impressed by its output. I say 'output' becuase having got so used to Registax 5 and how to operate it, this feels like a whole new learning curve (although nothing wrong there). What I inevitably find (if I can have the patience with Avistack) is that the final .fit file loads into Regisatx and produces a much more 'responsive' image to work with in the 'wavelets' stage. The image looks more detailed and compact to my eyes. Also, since I had my SPC900NC modded to B&W philips chip (also RAW), Registax 5 alignment somehow introduces 'moire' (or cross-stiching) in the final image.

The image posted shows a comparison between the two methods. It isn't the best comparison I could show but, even on this one, you can see that at top left of the Regisatx 'half' there is patterning, which somehow influences the whole image. This is less apparant in the Avistack half, and the detail is slightly enhanced. (The top of the Avistack half is image deterioration due to mount drift and lack of AVI coverage).

Hope this is useful and I would be really interested in your opinions and experience of the two software packages.

Regards,

Nick

PS There is a comparison page on the Avistack website (although it could be biased)!

http://www.avistack.de/images.html

post-16684-133877436617_thumb.jpg

Nick

That's a nice image of the Bay of Rainbows - excellent.

I agree with you about Avistack - I find it consistently gives good results. Under ideal conditions I find Registax is as good as Avistack. However, IMO Avistack gives much better results than Registax for AVIs where the seeing is poor (the norm for me).

Thanks Michael, I'll bear that in mind next time I capture some AVIs. At the moment, Avistack feels clumsy to use (compared to Regisatx) but my sense is that I'm still learning what does what. I pretty much work at the 'default' setting but hope to start tweaking things as time goes by.

BTW do you use Registax for 'wavelet' manipulation (using the .fit file from Avistack) or do you use Avistack?

Nick

Archived