Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCT Adapter for SW Mak 180 Pro

I recently bought a SCT adapter for the back of my Sky-watcher 180 Mak Pro. The ring was not near big enough on the OD. This ring has a OD of ~ 2.1" and the back of the telescope has a back over 2.5", so the adapter just falls through the retaining rig that screws on the back of the scope. All others I find online seem the same size. Any suggestions on where I can go to cross from the back of my Mak to a SCT thread??

Thanks,

Rob

My 127 Mak has a M45 rear thread, which fits the Mak - SC adapters (I got mine from TS). I guess the 180 Mak has a larger rear thread!

You could try TS (Teleskop Service), they seem to supply a bewildering number of adapters. I'm not sure what postage to Australia would be like though.

Andrew

That's wierd! My blue tube 127 and gold tube 180 both have the same thread on the rear port- 36.4mm (male). I know there were some changes to the Skymax range when they brought out the new colour scheme - maybe this is something to do with it?

That's wierd! My blue tube 127 and gold tube 180 both have the same thread on the rear port- 36.4mm (male). I know there were some changes to the Skymax range when they brought out the new colour scheme - maybe this is something to do with it?

Weird indeed!

My 127 Mak (blue tube) has a 45mm male thread on the back of the OTA. I use one of these to attach a 2" diagonal.

As supplied, the OTA had an adapter attached with a 42mm male thread on the outside (T2?) and two female threads on the inside ~36mm and ~32mm. The supplied 1.25" diagonal fitted into the smaller female thread (fitted and held with thumb screws - not screwed).

Andrew

Sorry, should have been more clear. The scope comes with a "visual back" already fitted, which has two thumb screws that hold a diagonal in position. It is basically a short tube that sticks out the back. This visual back attaches to the rear port of the telescope by means of a retaining ring, which screws onto the male 36.4mm thread that makes the rear port.

I was assuming that we had rhetorically removed the visual back adapter by unscrewing the retaining ring!

Full details and illustarion of this can be found here: Fine focuser for 4" Mak

Ant

Yes, that's it - the visual back.

But when it's removed, it is a 45mm male thread on the OTA (onto which the knurled ring screws). The 36.4mm thread would be a female thread on the inside of the retaining ring of the visual back (the small ring with the two holes).

Andrew

Archived