Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 22.3.2010

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL1829mm

Lunation 6.97 days

43.3% Illuminated

I started the night looking for the fabled Lunar X marking. This feature lies between the craters Purbach and Werner. The dimensions of the craters are Purbach measures 71 miles in diameter and is 7300 feet deep while Werner measures 42 miles in diameter and is deeper at 12800 feet. With my 16mm Uwan inserted into the focuser I noted the first emergence of the bottom to ridges that make up the bottom of the Lunar X from the darkness of terminator at 19.26. The upper two arms of the Lunar X started emerging at 19.44. I tried numerous eyepieces and the best one was my 6mm University Optics Ortho giving me x304.

I then turned my attention onto the feature known as the Rilles of Triesnecker, these are a system of ramified rilles spreading from the North slope of Rhaeticus to Rima Hyginus and situated on the slope East slope of the crater Triesnecker. Through the 6mm Ortho I could quite easily see the Rilles and could even pick out the little crater Triesnecker F which sits just above the "V" formation that the Rilles form. This little crater is very small at only 2 miles in diameter and of unknown height.

By now it was 20.50 and I had another look at Lunar X which by now was fully formed and just sitting there amoungst the inky blackness of the terminator. The moon was really fantastic tonight so I inserted the 12.5 mm Ortho and looked at craters such as Horrocks, Albategnius, Blanchinus, and Aliacensis.

Next over to Saturn and I was amazed at how sharp the planet was, my collimation must have been pretty good as I could make our cloud bands and a fair bit of colour. Titan (8.3 mag) showed a very bright yellow colour and was situated at the bottom of Saturn. I could also make out Dione (10.3 mag) and Rhea (9.6 mag) which were to Saturns right and further out was Hyperion (14.2 mag) this one could only be seen once I placed Saturn outside the FOV to cut out the glare and lastly Iapetus (11 mag). On saturns left was Mimas (12.8 mag), this one was hard as it was just near the rings to make the split hard but eventually I did manage it. The other two moons Encelades and Tethys were in front of Saturn so were not seen. So I counted six moons tonight.

I tried for a few of the Virgo clusters but couldn't manage them, it just goes to show how much the moon interferes with DSO hunting.

Decided to call it a night at 22.30.

Nice one Mick. Fantastic description of the Lunar X feature. It is something I have yet to see. Still trying to get my head around just how deep Werner is!! That's an impressive crater.

Good moon detections around Saturn too. I saw on Stellarium that there was a good congregation of them close into the planet last night. I missed it though as by the time I wanted to swing my scope over to it Saturn was hiding behind a tree :)

Great report Mick. I had a quick look at Saturn last night but only saw two moons. How do I find out which moons they were?

Rik

Programs like Stellarium and Cartes du Ceil show you exactly where the moons are at any time. I use Cartes du Ceil as it goes a little deeper on DSO's.

Nice report Mick. I need to brush up on moon features - as in learn the name of some. At the moment I just look at it and think, oooo craters. Then up the magnification and think, oooo more craters.

I have only clocked up 3 of Saturn's moons so far, will have to hunt for some more.

Archived