Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Virgo Galaxies

Having been rudely awoken just after 02:00 this morning, to sort a hydraulic leak, I found myself with several hours of clear skies and no desire to return to bed just to lie there hoping that sleep would return.

So I grabbed the 20x60s, my laminated star charts and Altas of the Universe and plotted (dry board marker) exactly where I needed to be looking for a) 4 Vesta and :) the Virgo cluster of galaxies.

I pretty soon realised that it was too late to stand a chance of seeing 4 Vesta, so concentrated my efforts on finding some fuzzies.

I recognised Ophiuchus and his serpent quite readily so then looked for Virgo. Whislt looking for virgo, the standby boat, not content to fill the sky with orange sodium favoured pollution started adding white light with their bow mounted SAR search lamp, which, as you can imagine, isn't dim.

Moving to a better spot I then found Saturn and Corvus. Following the line through epsilon and gamma Corvus up epsilon Virgo I looked just west (or just lower, as it was by now) of epsilon Virgo and could clearly see that there are indeed a fair few fuzzies there.

Unfortunately I was getting very frustrated by the stray light from both the standby boat and the FPSO getting into my eyes past the binocular eyecups.

So, once I have made some form of screen/hood to block out all this nasty stray light I'm sure the 20x60s will pull these fuzzies out for me.

Still, as a group, I can now locate the Virgo cluster. When I am home again I'll be trying to narrow thing s down somewhat.

Quite amusing you describe members of the Virgo cluster as "fuzzies" LOL!! :)

Well at least you've seen them with your binocs, something beyond me because of light pollution.

Each fuzzy shines with the concentration of light from hundreds of billions of *Suns*.

Amazing how seldom we see them for their true worth except in long exposure hubble photos..

Amazing how seldom we see them for their true worth except in long exposure hubble photos..

Their wonderous nature is far from lost on me, when I first saw Andromeda Galaxy i must admit to being totally underwhelmed. But ever since then I marvel at how distant travelled is the light from such beauty to my eye.

I love to call them fuzzies so as not to misrepresent them to other novice stargazers.

If only we could see them as the imagers portray, now they would be sights beyond all imagination.

• 1 month later...

Gill, I observe from a semi-submersible drilling rig in China, when I'm not home in Lancs. The 20x60s are hand held, which makes for tired arms and much frustration.

Yup, the full moon has washed away any chance of fuzzies for now. BUT, I have just secured a skymax 90 to take back with me, ironic really, as they are made in Taiwan (IIRC) but as yet have not found an outlet in ShenZhen where I can get one for pennies.......

I'll be contacting Mr. Wu about more EPs today i think.

I've just had my initial test, and whilst we are bobbing about a tad, vibration coming through the deck is by far a worse issue than 'wandering stars'. I've just cut 3 x 3/8" thick rubber pads onto which I shall stand the tripod.

let me know how they turn out.

i've got a slight feeling a collection of thinner pads with each having a different hardness might absorb better. interesting but i'm afraid quite a complicated problem you have there .)

The cardboard pads are absorbing all but the worst of the vibration, I'm going to fit a piece of rubber sheet to each side to help isolate the remaining vibration, as well as support the tripod feet, which are causing indentation into the card.

But thus far I am able to gain decent enough views considering the rig motion, which I can only try to guide around using the slow motion controls.

Archived